20: Lin Sanjiu's Roundabout Tactics

No one anticipated the attack. Luther didn't have time to defend himself as the gust of wind was about to reach the top of his head, so he could only roll to the ground. Somehow, he managed to dodge the attack, but he could not avoid tumbling down the staircase.

Fortunately, Lin Sanjiu reacted quickly; she stooped down and grabbed his sleeve, stopping his momentum down the stairs. The attack, having missed Luther, slammed into the top of the staircase and destroyed a segment of the stair. A cloud of dust and broken concrete was stirred up, sending Lin Sanjiu and Luther into a fit of coughing. They were a little traumatized upon witnessing this—if the attack landed on them, it would have shaved off half their life!

Upon missing its attack, the black shadow lingered in the air, swaying lightly up and down as if it were undecided on which prey to attack. The two of them took advantage of that short frame of time to finally get a good look at the perpetrator, ultimately solving the riddle about the whereabouts of the mountain of corpses.

It was a long, green vine that extended from the tropical forest.

No, instead of calling it green, it was closer to say sepia brown. The green vines that spanned over half the shopping mall's central hall were covered with so much blood stains that it was basically impossible to tell their original color. There were even a few pieces of orange fabrics dangling on the thorns of the vines, and with one sweeping look, Lin Sanjiu ascertained that the fabric matched the staff uniform for the supermarket downstairs.

"What the fuck! How can those things extend so far?" Luther touched the abrasion on his face, cursing angrily.

Lin Sanjiu locked her eyes on the green vines, not daring to make any rash movements, "It probably grew after it mutated... what should we do now?"

"What else? Let's run back! I doubt it can follow us all the way back to the supermarket!"

The green vine seemed like it understood what they said. "Hu!" It generated another strong gust of wind. Following which, the few broken slabs of concrete that were stirred into the wind flew toward the two of them. They twisted to their side, dodging them. Lin Sanjiu stared back at the green vine, biting her lips tightly. Her heart thumped loudly. "That won't work, we have to split up! I'll go upstairs, you go downstairs!"

Luther was astounded "Are you crazy?" He turned, only to find that he was already staring at the back of her head.

"The corpses were piled right by the escalator, yet the green vines managed to reach them. That clearly means that we'll be attacked on the way back!" As Lin Sanjiu explained, she picked up a broken concrete slab beside her, aimed, and threw it at the green vine at lightning speed.

It was as if the vine grew eyes mid-air; it suddenly shifted upwards, avoiding the slab. Before Luther could react, Lin Sanjiu shot up the stairs like an arrow and yelled, "I'll attract its attention. Quick! Tell Marcie to bring some liquor over to rescue me! Get those with a high alcohol content!"

Within the time it took for her to say that, the vine had already aimed a few consecutive attacks at her. Lin Sanjiu managed to dodge the first few attacks, but just as she was about to finish climbing the final few steps, she was cut by the last slash of wind. It tore a hole in her pants, and a little blood seeped from her wound. Paying no mind to it, Lin Sanjiu jumped and leaped forward, reaching the second floor at last. She immediately hid behind one of the doors belonging to a store.

Luther, who had been staring at her, finally felt his heart settle down. He knew what Lin Sanjiu was planning. He felt anxious for her, but he also admired her quick-thinking. "You're crazy! Take care, Marcie and I will come back as soon as possible!"