5: Incoming Crisis

"Oww..." The woman curled up on the ground moaned. It broke the tense atmosphere. "Aghh, that was quite painful."

Seeing "her mother" stand up and rub the back of her head, Lin Sanjiu could feel the corner of her eyes twitch. Things were not going well. Two against one. Apart from the fact that there was a large man in the other party, she was so exhausted that her limbs were feeling weak. She did not even have a single ability that she could use to defend herself...

"Her mother" stood up straight and cracked her neck. When she turned to face Lin Sanjiu, she had already turned into a young stranger who was about seventeen or eighteen.

"Oh well, just our luck. There are so many people whose parents are still alive, yet we had to meet an orphan..." The youth did not even look at Lin Sanjiu, but actually complained to his companion first. "Her father" nodded silently as he walked two steps out of the bedroom. After that, "her father" turned into a redhead middle aged woman. "Did she manage to hurt you just now?" she asked with an accent.

The youth grinned, flashing his set of white teeth. "Of course not, she isn't that strong."

Witnessing the two of them talking casually with each other, acting as though there was nobody else present, Lin Sanjiu felt somewhat bitter. She stealthily edged backward and asked in a trembling voice, "Are both of you also from an apocalypse world?"

Her question seemed to have suddenly piqued the youth's interest. "Huh? So you actually know that much? We really underestimated you. That was why you showed absolutely no mercy just now. Um. I already noticed just now that you have already evolved a little... Your potential growth value must be quite high." The youth's manner of speaking was particularly quick and lively. It sounded as though he was talking about his favorite game. If the young man hadn't just tricked her into the apartment by disguising himself as her dead mother, Lin Sanjiu would have really lowered her defenses.

"Is my friend... really dead?"

The youth shrugged in an exaggerated manner. "There is a person in the bathroom. Her dehydration seems really bad, so she was probably trying to get some water. But I think there is a drought here? So anyway, not even a single drop of water came out from the tap. Right... she doesn't look too good, maybe dead. So I wouldn't recommend you going over to take a look."

Her tears poured out uncontrollably. Lin Sanjiu quickly wiped them away as she continued to stare at the two people in front of her. She took another step back.

She had already met a person like Ren Nan who was a 'posthuman' from an apocalyptic world. Unexpectedly, she managed to meet another two. Lin Sanjiu could not help but feel extremely wary of them. "If you two did not kill my friend, why are both of you here? Why did you trick me into the apartment?"

The young man spread his arms out and replied, "It is not as if we could choose where we appear when we get here! We are quite lucky that we appeared in a person's apartment. There is even a bed here for us to rest... Anyway, when we came here, your friend was already dead."

"Then, why did you disguise yourselves as my parents to trick me? How did you know my parents?" It was obvious that this youth enjoyed talking. He had revealed quite a lot of information in such a short time. Lin Sanjiu noticed that and purposely chose to ask these questions as she planned the conversation.

It was unclear as to whether she saw through her plans, but before the young man could reply, the redhead woman gestured in an irritated manner to stop the young man from answering enthusiastically. "I planned for you to come inside," she said coldly.

With a metallic sound, the redhead woman's nails suddenly grew by half a meter, shining with a faint luster in the dark. She laughed and said, "I wanted to see how far people in this world have evolved."