37: I'm Just Taking a Walk

This was no small matter—shocked, Lin Sanjiu quickly turned to look behind her.

A bespectacled stranger stood behind her. He looked like an intellectual, but he had a habitual frown, which gave him a stern look. "Did you lose something?"

'It should be okay if I give him a generic reply.' Lin Sanjiu composed herself and gave an apologetic smile. "Yes, I accidentally dropped something, but I can't find it now."

Her words sounded normal, but the bespectacled man frowned deeper. Suddenly, he drew his face close to hers with a solemn expression. Unable to tell what was wrong with him, she quickly took two steps back and looked back at him uneasily.

Unexpectedly, the man snorted and said, "You're not being totally honest, although I've never met a woman that doesn't lie."

'Huh?' Lin Sanjiu's eyes widened.

"But it doesn't matter. The item does belong to you; you weren't lying about that..." Regardless of what the man said, he kept his solemn expression. "Fine. Since you are the owner, I'll tell you this. A short man took away that item a few minutes ago."

'Short man...' She had just arrived at the Oasis and virtually knew no one here. But if Miss Li and Xiao Yu didn't discover it, even if some random person took it away, she could just treat it as if she'd lost the item! Anyway, Voley had given them more than one set of walkie-talkies from his car.

However, Lin Sanjiu's focus was no longer on the walkie-talkie. Instead, she scrutinized the bespectacled man from head to toe to the extent that the other party felt uncomfortable. Then, she smiled and offered a handshake. "Hi, I'm Lin Sanjiu. Thanks for the piece of information. What's your name?"

From behind his glasses, the man looked at the hand that she extended but showed no attempt to reciprocate. "My name is Hu Changzai. If a young lady like you is suddenly showing affection, you must have an ulterior motive."

Even though Lin Sanjiu thought of herself as a reasonable person, her smile froze.

'It's just a handshake. This guy should thank the existence of the apocalypse world! If human civilization hadn't collapsed, he would have difficulties integrating into society!'

Lin Sanjiu silently criticized him as she suppressed her anger and drew back her hand. Hu Changzai did not seem to think that he had said anything wrong. "I'm leaving," he said with a long face, turning to leave.

"That's your ability, right?"

Hu Changzai paused when he heard that question.

"You can tell if someone is lying?" Lin Sanjiu slowly walked to his side, unable to help but feel unsatisfied if she didn't say those words. "It's quite impressive and rather useful. But if you expose a lie in such an obvious manner, wouldn't that defeat its purpose?"

Surprisingly, Hu Changzai appeared startled by her words, his glasses also gliding down his nose. He quickly readjusted it and stared at Lin Sanjiu before asking, "Why do you know about these abilities?"

Lin Sanjiu was a little stunned. "Days have passed since the apocalypse... Shouldn't this be common knowledge?"

"Oh, I've got it. You must be from the outside world." Hu Changzai took off his glasses and wiped them with the corner of his shirt as this dawned on him. He wore his glasses again and took a good look at Lin Sanjiu. "How long have you been here? How long were you out there? From what you said, I presume that you have abilities too?"

'Who are you to poke your nose in my business?' Finding it ludicrous, Lin Sanjiu countered with her own questions. "Isn't everyone from the Oasis from the outside world? Are you telling me that some people here haven't developed abilities?"