Epilogue

Three moons had passed. The long cold season of Leafbare melted away with the snow, blossoming into Newleaf fresh flowers on the meadowy hills. Bloom's Day was here again, and Grassclan was as busy as ever. None were so busy as Swiftcloud was that day.
She was in the medicine den, flanked by Mistyleaf. The pale silver she-cat was placing tiny pink and blue flowers all over Swiftcloud's pelt, decorating her traditionally for a deputy. Nearby, Goldensong was weaving together her flower crown.

"Almost done," Mistyleaf mewed as she placed one last flower onto her mate's chest fur. "There! You look lovely, Swift."

"Thank you," Swiftcloud purred, licking her lover's cheek. Mistyleaf trilled, leaning against her.

"You'd better run along now. Tulippaw and her sisters must be getting antsy waiting for their warrior's assessments to begin," she reminded Swiftcloud.

"You're right," Swiftcloud agreed, rising to her paws. "I'd better go and fetch their mentors, then."

With a parting nod to the medicine cats, Swiftcloud turned and padded out into the clearing. A beautiful sight greeted her eyes as she walked around, gathering her fellow mentors for today's assessment. The camp was perfectly decorated for the day's celebration; flowers and feathers dotting the dens, berries placed ever so delicately along thresholds. Even Tall Stone had gotten a makeover in honor of the holiday. The youngest apprentices, with the help of the clan's kits, painted a lovely picture across the front of the ancient boulder with berry juice. Swiftcloud couldn't tell exactly what was being depicted, but she admired the young cats' creativity nonetheless.

"Swiftcloud," Quailbelly called as she padded up to the deputy and the mentors. "Rabbitstorm and I are ready to help."

"Excellent," Swiftcloud purred. Cinderpaw and Bunnypaw were out gathering flowers, leaving their respective mentors, Quailbelly and Rabbitstorm, with nothing to do. Both cats had been eager to receive an apprentice. Bunnypaw was Rabbitstorm's first. And Quailbelly was doing her best to train young Cinderpaw. After losing her first apprentice, Thistlepaw, Whitestar and Swiftcloud agreed it was only fair to give Quailbelly another chance at mentoring. And she was happy. But the relief on her face made it obvious that she was glad for a break today. Rabbitstorm seemed even more happy to get away from his energetic little brother.

"What do you need us to do?" He asked, standing beside Quailbelly. At this time, Tulippaw, Nectarpaw, Pansypaw, Pollenpaw and Tabitha had come to Tall Stone to pair up with their mentors.

Swiftcloud flicked an ear towards them as she spoke. "I need each of you to take out one of my apprentices for me, while I assess everyone's progress from the sidelines."

"I'll take Tulippaw," Quailbelly offered.

"Guess that'll leave me with Tabitha," Rabbitstorm snorted.
Though he may sound annoyed, Swiftcloud couldn't miss the excited little smirk he gave. She knew the pair were growing close. But she also knew Rabbitstorm was not the sort of warrior to mess around when given an assignment. "I'll make sure she stays focused," he swore, as if he could read the deputy's mind. He dipped his head to her respectfully, Quailbelly copying his motion.
For the short time she had been deputy, Swiftcloud had already managed to gain the respect of her clanmates. At first it was jarring--having cats bow their heads, as if she were such an important figure--but soon enough, she adjusted to the change. Cats listened when she gave orders, and were comfortable with coming to her to report news. Maybe Whitestar had made a good choice when choosing Swiftcloud. Three moons in, and she already felt so accustomed to her new role. It gave her purpose; a new reason to wake up in the morning.

"Right. Let's head out," Swiftcloud ordered. Each pair began to make their way out into the meadow, already prepared to take their apprentices to predetermined destinations.
Before Swiftcloud followed through the bramble tunnel, she couldn't help but spare a glance back at the nursery. The honeysuckles were in bloom, alive with a comforting fragrance. Swiftcloud had grown quite used to it by now, finding herself almost regretful about not staying behind to lounge beneath it with the queens.