Chapter 4

The wind flowed through Swift's short patched fur as she ran full speed out of Twolegplace, far from her old home, and far from her kittypet life. Small tears pooled in the corners of her eyes but she managed to blink them away. Though her heart seemed to cry for her instead. She was going to miss her friends dearly. They had been so reluctant to let her leave. This was definitely the right decision, she reminded herself. Swift knew this was the right life for her, even if for a heartbeat it hurt to say goodbye. From now on she was a wildcat. She'd be a cat of myth just like the clan cats; a figure kittypet queens would warn their kittens about when they'd looked beyond the borders of their Twoleg dens. She was going to make something of herself. She was going to be a warrior.
Swift slowed to a complete halt as she came to the clearing from the day before. The same spot where she had met Shadowpaw. Swift secretly hoped the little black tom would be accompanying Tigerfang this evening when he came to fetch her. With time to kill, Swift padded to the clearing's center to wait. She sat down with her ears pricked, listening for any sounds that may alert her to the clan cat's arrival. She kept sniffing the air as well, trying to see if she could catch any catscent on the wind. She didn't want to be caught off guard like yesterday. In the area surrounding her, Swift could only catch the stale scent of the clan cats still lingering around. The young molly found herself feeling lonesome as the smell lingered in her scent glands; she yearned to see the Grassclan cats again. It's very close to sundown, Tigerfang should arrive in a few heartbeats. Swift kneaded the soft sand beneath her paws impatiently, closing her eyes to enhance her senses. Nearby she could hear birdsong, the beautiful unscripted melody filled her ears and her heart with delight. She could get used to this. The twittering of birds in Newleaf meant more chicks would be hatched soon. More chicks meant more food to feed the clan. This was a very good time of year to meet the clan cats, she thought to herself with a smile. Not only will I have better opportunities to learn to hunt, but I'll be able to prove myself by bringing the clan big juicy prey!
Silence abruptly cut through the air, as if claws had come to rip the birdsong from Swift's ears. Swift blinked open her eyes, glancing around the clearing. What happened, where did the birds go? There must have been something nearby which had scared the birds into silence. Swift rose to her paws, parting her jaws to taste the air once more. There was an unmistakable scent of cat drifting in the breeze, and it was fresh, but she couldn't tell where it was coming from. In an instant, a flash of grey and white flew past Swift's field of vision. Swift whipped her head around to see a young cat fall down into a crouch in front of her. They turned tail to face her, raising their chin to appear taller, more confident. Swift's pelt bristled in alarm. Who was this cat? They looked to be around her height, with a much bulkier body. Their frame was draped with long grey and white tabby fur, which may have only brought on the illusion of their size. Soft meadow green eyes met with Swift's wide bright blues, emotion in them unreadable. Swift decided to give the air around them another sniff. The stranger carried a very similar scent to the Grassclan cats, one of morning dew, and freshly bloomed flowers. It brought Swift a bit of peace of mind, knowing this cat was probably part of the clan she would soon join. However, she couldn't help but feel prickly. Would this cat attack her like Shadowpaw had, unaware that Swift was actually her ally and not an enemy?

"Hi!" giggled the cat, grinning playfully. "I'm Frostpaw. Gee, you sure smell funny," she remarked, taking another step closer, sniffing at Swift curiously.

"Leave her alone, Frostpaw," meowed a familiar voice. Swift instantly relaxed at the sight of Shadowpaw and Tigerfang, her heart leaping for joy. The clan cats had finally come to take her home. She hadn't even stepped foot near the clan yet and she already felt so welcomed, even if a bit uneasy too.

"Hello Tigerfang, hi Shadowpaw," mewed Swift, the excitement in her voice unmistakable. The two familiar cats nodded acknowledgingly.

"I'm glad to see she actually showed up," meowed an unfamiliar cat loudly as he stepped out of the grass beside Tigerfang. This new tom was strange. His fur was like a lamb's, white and curly, his pelt making him appear rather thin. His long narrow face was set with an eerie pair of pale blue eyes, only adding to his oddity. Why did all these new cats have to accompany Tigerfang? Swift wondered. Was the entourage really necessary? Perhaps she should see it more as a friendly welcoming party instead. After all, now was a time to be excited, not worried about who was here and why.