43: Thing Can Only Go Up From Here

*PSA: Because of the accusations against Brendon and his lack of an apology or explanation I will not be continuing his character in this book. He will make no more appearances since his role in this story doesn't affect the outcome in any way*

Frank texted his father as soon as he pulled himself back together. If this experience had taught him anything, it was that life was too short to hold any sort of grudge against his loved ones. He didn't go into detail regarding what had happened to Pete or why he'd decided to message him now, but he let his dad know that he'd loved to see him again soon, although he wasn't sure when that would be since life had been hectic for him lately.

He also composed a short message to Gerard once the one to his father was sent. He knew his boyfriend was busy, but Frank wanted to let him know that he was thinking of him. All it said was "I love you. I'm always here if you need me." Frank had so much more he wanted to say but those few words conveyed more than enough.

Not long after that, or maybe hours had passed, Frank still didn't have a great sense of time, they were allowed in to see Pete. Frank had been exhausted beforehand, but as soon as the nurse clad in aquamarine scrubs told him that Pete was up and accepting visitors, it was if he had an ingested an entire pot of coffee. His nerve endings tingled with anticipation as he waited for Pete's mother to step ahead of him, letting her take the lead even though all he wanted to do was to sprint ahead of both her and the nurse so he could see Pete that much sooner.

Frank hung back momentarily when Pete's mother reached his best friend's side, giving the family unit the chance to bond without him interfering. He took the time to observe Pete lying in a hospital bed. The white sheets contrasted starkly against his friend's dark hair, the rest of his body getting swallowed up by the hospital gown clinging to his frame. His arms were bare though, exposing a cast on one hand and an array of scars decorating his forearms that Frank had never noticed before. His heart clenched in his chest as he took in the physical signs of Pete's mental suffering. He had no idea how he was so blind before, but now his eyes were wide open, and he wouldn't allow them to be shut again.

"Hey..." Frank smiled despite the heaviness in his chest. "How are you feeling?" he asked when neither Pete or his mother broke the awkward silence.

Before Pete had a chance to answer, his mother launched herself at him, embracing him carefully but fiercely all at once. Frank choked down the lump that rose in his throat when Pete returned her affection as much as he could in his current condition. For a brief moment, Frank wondered what would happen if their roles were reversed, if he was in the hospital bed and his mother was the one visiting him. Would she react like Pete's mother, or would she even remember him? Frank would never know. It changed from one day to the next. That didn't matter now though, and it wasn't fair to compare his life to Pete's. They both had their struggles in their own ways, and neither of their lives were perfect.

"My baby...you scared me so much," Mrs. Wentz sobbed quietly.

"I know Mom, I'm so sorry," Pete whispered. "I don't know what came over me...I - I'm so sorry. I made a huge mistake."

"It's okay, you're okay. Just - god...I'm so glad you're safe."

"So am I," Frank added on. "I want to apologize for what I did...I never meant to drive you to this. You're my best friend Pete. I love you so much and I would never try and hurt you intentionally."

"I know, I was stupid," Pete sighed. "I've been a bit of a mess lately. My head has been all over the place, but it's no excuse for what I did. I just reacted without thinking. I don't really want to die...but at the moment it seemed to be the easy way out."

Just then, a nurse entered the room, interrupting their private conversation, which Frank was thankful for since he was already on the verge of tears.