17: Why Couldn't This Be A Dream Where Frank Came To School In His Underwear

Frank awoke to the muffled sound of the alarm on his phone, his numb fingers fumbling to shut it off before the harsh ringtone disturbed Gerard, who was still in the same position he had been last night, curled around Frank like an affectionate octopus, all of their limbs entangled together in one way or another, and although Frank adored how Gerard always wanted to be touching him, even in his sleep, it did make it very difficult to reach his phone, much less get out of bed.

And really, the last thing Frank wanted to do right now was leave Gerard's side, all of his muscles were screaming at him to close his eyes and lay his head back down on Gerard's chest, the temptation to forget about school for just one day almost winning out over the responsible side of Frank, and for a few minutes, he truly considered saying 'fuck everything' and wasting away the morning with Gerard.

Frank would never get tired of this simple act, of having Gerard's warm body pressed snugly against his side, of feeling his soft breath caressing his skin, of the way he looked so innocent - so young when he slept, and for a little while, Frank could pretend that they were a typical couple, and there was no lies or deceit hanging in-between them, that they were the same age, and Frank had parents who accepted him for who he was, people he could bring Gerard home to and show off his new boyfriend proudly.

As Frank's mind spun through this ridiculous fantasy, he found his eyes drifting shut again, the hand that he had painstakingly freed from under Gerard's spine making its way to Gerard's hair, stroking it slowly, but as close as Frank was to surrendering to oblivion once more, Frank's conscience wouldn't let him, the soft voice continuing to hassle him until he had no choice but to give in, because despite how much Frank would love to ignore all of his other responsibilities in favor of Gerard, he needed to break this dependent habit if he ever had a chance to pass his senior year.

But even the matter of graduating wasn't quite enough to get Frank in motion, no - it took the thought of his mother to finally have Frank slowly attempting to remove himself from Gerard's tight hold without waking him up, because Frank couldn't stand to face her disappointment if she discovered he had missed out on his first day, and she would find out; his school was not very lenient with unexplained absences, and they did more than just leave a message on the answering machine to inform the parents that their child hadn't attended school that day.

And no matter what mood Frank's mother was in, he knew that his truancy would hurt her, because education was very important to Frank's mother, that was why she enrolled him in a private school in the first place, and Frank didn't want to find out what her reaction would be if he skipped for the first time ever, not to mention he would have to think of an excuse for where he had decided to spend his day that didn't involve Gerard, and he couldn't keep using Pete as he scapegoat, it wasn't fair, and it would be too easy for her to call up Pete's parents and find out that he had been in class all day and Frank hadn't come by at all.

So with a heavy sigh that seemed to come from his toes, Frank finished extricating himself from Gerard, pausing for a moment once he was free to make sure that Gerard wasn't going to stir; Gerard needed his rest after his breakdown last night, and Frank hoped he slept late enough that Frank could sneak back to his apartment once classes were over and they could pick up where they left off before Gerard ever realized he was gone.

Frank stomach twisted at he gazed down at his oblivious boyfriend, because honestly, Frank felt guilty about leaving Gerard like this, even though he had a good reason, there was still school, and his mother to think of, no matter the fact that Gerard consumed ninety-nine percent of his mind, and as much as Frank wished that his world consisted of only Gerard - it didn't, and Frank knew that, but he also felt terrible for skipping out on Gerard without making sure he was going to be okay.