Chapter 72-

"Is there even any point in getting my braces fixed up?" I declared as I sat myself up in the chair and crossed my legs. "They've all been crap so far, what's to say the next one will impress. Let's just face it Sam, this is a waste of time."

Sam looked at me disapprovingly. "What might seem like a waste of time in your eyes is a good investment of time in mine Billy. We're killing two birds in one stone here."

I was confused by this remark. What else was Sam gaining from today? I look over at Adam in the corner of the room, who was sniggering under his breath whilst wiping down the surfaces of the counter.

"What do you mean? And why does Adam find that funny?" I gawked, feeling slightly annoyed that Adam found this situation humorous. "Adam I thought you were meant to be on my side."

"Of course I'm on your side Billy" Adam chuckled, walking over towards Sam and I. He leant against the counter and crossed his arms over his chest. "We're both on your side, but Sam sure has tricked you here" he smiled. "For the best", he added.

All I could do was look at them with a confused expression. They both looked smug. I wanted answers.

"Do you not realise Billy" Sam started, "even if I don't recruit a new member of the team today, I'm still building your tolerance towards dentistry. Notice how you didn't even put up a fuss for Alice? You're getting used to being in the chair! You're becoming more brave" he smiled.

I suppose this made sense, but surely this wasn't his plan all along. He genuinely was looking for a new dentist to hire at the practice. Surely he was just saying this now so the whole day didn't feel like a waste of time. Surely?

"I only sat nicely for Alice because she was kind to me".

"Adam and I are kind to you" Sam stated, looking moderately upset by my remark.

"I am well behaved when Adam looks at my teeth" I said, no expression on my face.

Sam looked even more upset now. "You've been good for me recently though" he said.

I sat myself up in the chair and turned around to face Sam. "I'm well behaved for you when you're gentle and kind Samuel" I answered, stating the obvious. "You used to be so forceful when looking at my teeth, but Adam has never been like that, he's always comforted me and gone at my own pace. Adam also doesn't get upset when I have a cavity unlike you do, because he realises it's just something that happens sometimes. The longer you continue to be a nice dentist, the longer I'll be a compliant patient, it's as simple as that. You know, most kids are probably scared to go to the dentist because of doctors who give them a bad experience. It's not hard to have some compassion towards people's rational fears."

There was silence for a moment. A sudden urge of proudness radiated over me... wow that speech felt good. That needed to come out.

'Clap, clap, clap'

I looked over to the side of the room to see Adam clapping me, smiling widely, in somewhat of a humorous state.
"That was powerful" he chuckled. "Well said."

I hesitantly looked over at Sam, worried about his response. He no longer looked upset, but he didn't look happy either. He looked from Adam, to me, then stood up from the chair and sighed.

"I've never purposely wanted to make your visits to the dentist uncomfortable Billy, that would be a silly thing to do. I suppose I'm just so passionate about my work that I go overboard sometimes, and I want to ensure your teeth are in perfect condition just like my own. You're right in saying those things about Adam, he genuinely is a brilliant person and dentist, and watching him carry out your procedures in such a calm and warming manner makes me happy to see you're in safe hands. I want you to always feel like you can trust me and I never want you to feel scared about me touching your teeth. Here, let me sit this chair up for a minute so you don't get back ache."