Chapter 67-

The next morning I awoke early and excited, because I knew I would be seeing Sam again. Although I'd had a fun weekend with Adam, not seeing Sam was a lot harder for me than I thought it would be.
However, I had school today. And I hated school. I didn't see the point. No friends. Nothing that interested me. It was just depressing.

Nevertheless, I got out of bed, and got dressed and ready into my school uniform. I packed up all my belongings so they were ready to be taken home, and carefully lugged them all down the stairs, and placed them next to the front door.

"Morning Billy" Adam said as he entered the corridor to greet me. He was already dressed in his turquoise scrubs, ready for work. "Can I interest you in some breakfast?"

"Morning" I replied timidly. "And no thank you."

"Surely you're hungry though? You need to eat something kiddo."

"No, I'm not hungry at all" I replied. I felt far too nervous to eat. I had a case of the Monday blues. Yet, I felt nervous every morning before school. Well, every morning since Kyle hadn't been at school anyway.

"How about just some toast? Please Billy?" Adam pleaded, looking worriedly at me.

I shook my head no. "I don't think I could stomach it."

"Is everything okay, Billy?" Adam questioned. "Is there anything you'd like to talk about?"

I looked down at my feet and wiggled my toes. "Do you think I could have the morning off school? And just go back after my appointment? Please Adam?" I asked, looking up at him with sorrowful eyes. I really didn't want to go to school. I couldn't think of anything worse. I missed Kyle. I missed Lola. I had nobody.

"Unfortunately Billy, that's not my decision to make. Sam has said he wants you to go to school, and I can't change his decision. I'm sorry. Is there a particular reason you don't want to go in?"

I had to lie. I couldn't tell him the real reason, although I expected he knew the reason after our discussion in the car on Friday. "Errrmmm... it just seems kind of pointless to only go in for a few hours, then have to leave again, then go back."

"Sorry bud. I think Sam just wants the best for you, and he doesn't want you to miss too much at school. Do you understand?"

I sighed. "I guess so."

"Don't be upset Billy, it'll be okay. Are you ready to go now then?"

I nodded my head, yet unwillingly.

Adam helped me carry my bags to his car, and chucked them in. He told me he would give them to Sam later on. I hopped into the passenger seat with my school backpack. Adam handed me an apple. "Just incase you get hungry," he smiled warmly.

It wasn't long until we reached the school grounds. I hesitantly jumped out of the car and said goodbye to Adam. "See you later" he replied to me, then he sped off to work.

I had my fingers crossed that maybe Kyle would be back at school today. It would be a miracle. But it wasn't the case. I sat down in registration at the desk on my own, and attempted to enjoy my own company. Lola was sat only a few desks in front of me, and I wanted to talk to her so badly. She was sat with a friend of her's called Natalie. They were laughing, chatting, and seemed so happy. I wanted to be happy too.

I took a while to ponder the consequences of talking to Lola. I decided I didn't really have a reputation to hold on to, as no one really cared who I was, so it didn't matter if I was to humiliate myself. I could just run away and join the circus or something. 'Well, I guess you've got nothing to lose Billy' I said to myself. I took a deep breath in, stood up from my desk, and slowly took a few steps towards Lola. I approached her with a handful of confidence, and began to speak.