Chapter 60-

Once Sam and I had left Adam's examination room, Sam shut the door behind him and immediately gave me the biggest hug I'd ever experienced.  His embrace was warm, and his big, strong arms seemed very protective when wrapped around my feeble body. The world around me melted away as I squeezed him back, not wanting the moment to end. It seemed a rare occurrence for such a meaningful hug to be gifted to me by Sam, which is why I tried to embrace it as much as humanly possible.
After a few minutes, he unwrapped his warm grip and smiled at me delicately.

"I don't say this enough Billy, but I love you a lot" Sam declared in a heartwarming manner.

This was too much for me. A normal person would just say 'I love you too'. But hearing this for the first time in a long time from a person you love extremely deeply, that's something special. More special than coming first in Mario Kart on 150cc Rainbow Road (which is very special).
I gulped from shock and felt the tears begin to well up at the bottom of my eyes. I attempted to build up the dam in order to stop the water. Luckily it was a success. I fought back the tears and instead of crying, I smiled widely, showing off my new metallic smile.

"That's the smile I like to see" Sam exclaimed, rustling up the curls on the top of my head.

Sam told me to come join him in his office until it was time for the staff checkups. He gave me some ibuprofen to help with the pain the braces had started to cause, and let me take a few gulps of water from his water bottle, in order to help me swallow the tablets.

Sam pulled a dark blue Hollister hoodie over his shirt and occupied the office chair whilst he typed rapidly for a while on his computer. I took a seat on the other side of the desk on a less comfy, more rigid chair... but it was so uncomfortable I decided the floor might be a better place to sit. I stood up from the chair and plonked myself on the floor in the corner of the room, and hugged my knees to my chest. I noticed Sam watch me out the corner of his eyes, yet he didn't say anything. He just let me be. I liked it that way.

After about ten minutes, and me almost nodding off, the sudden squeak of Sam's chair startled me, causing me to stand up at almost the exact same time as he did. He smiled at me.

"Do you want to come sit with us, or would you prefer to stay in here?" he asked me.

I told him I'd come join them in the examination room. Admittedly, I was somewhat excited to see them all in the dentist chair, in the same position that I'd been in so many times. It was their turn to be the patient!

I followed Sam through to his examination room (the largest of them all). Jasmine had already set up the room and on the side counter laid three trays, all with the dental tools needed for a checkup laid on them. One for Adam, one for Jasmine and one for Sam. Laid on each of the trays was a mirror and many different pointy tools (which I think Sam had previously called explorers, so I assumed that's what they were). Considering I wasn't the one who was going to be in dentist chair this time around (I'd already had my torture earlier on today), I felt absolutely fine with being in the room. It was nice to not feel anxious in an examination room for a change.

Jasmine and Sam began to chat to each other, so I took it upon myself to take a seat on one of the uncomfortable chairs situated in the corner of the room. The chair was exactly like the one I'd just sat on in Sam's office, but I decided it was not as acceptable to sit on the floor in this room, so my bum just had to deal with the uncomfortableness.

Adam arrived in the room five minutes later and faintly smiled at me. He had taken off his doctors coat and now only his long-sleeved red and white checkered shirt was on show. Sam still wore his hoodie... I guessed with no customers around, attire didn't matter.

"Alright then, shall we get started?" Sam asked as the three of them stood in a little triangle.

"Is it still okay for me to leave as soon as I've had my checkup?" Jasmine asked Sam.

"It's not a problem at all" Sam replied. "Adam, are you okay with doing both mine and Jasmine's checkups?" Sam asked Adam.

"Sure" Adam replied, hands in pockets. It didn't seem like Adam was a fan of this.

I noticed Sam thinking for a few seconds. "Right, so first Adam will check Jasmine's teeth. Then Jasmine can head off. Then I'll check Adam's teeth, and then Adam can check my teeth. Does that sound good to the both of you?" Sam asked.

They both nodded their heads. Sam took a seat next to me on a chair situated beside me, and Jasmine took a seat in the dentist chair in the middle of the room. Adam began pulling on a pair of gloves and placing a mask onto his face. I hadn't seen Adam wear a mask in ages, he usually didn't wear one during my appointments because he knew I wasn't too fond. He pulled the mask below his chin and looked over at Sam.

"Are we doing cleanings as well, Sam?" Adam asked.

"Yeah, we might as well" Sam replied.

Adam pulled his mask back over his mouth and nose and began to lower the chair and position the light to Jasmine's mouth.

I noticed Sam pull out his phone from the pocket of his jeans and begin to play a puzzle game. I scooted a little bit closer to Sam and rested my head against his shoulder. My intention was to watch him play the game on his phone, but I was intrigued to watch the checkup that was taking place.

Jasmine laid perfectly still in the chair with her hands resting either side of her and her mouth open wide, whilst Adam concentrated very hard, not taking his eyes off her teeth for a split second. I noticed how careful Adam was being and how precise his hand movements were. It made me realise that I was rather fortunate to have him as my orthodontist rather than Sam. If only he could be my regular dentist too.

After a few minutes, Adam removed the mirror and explorer from Jasmine's mouth and announced that there were no problems with her teeth at all.

"Just going to give your teeth a quick clean" Adam said. "Any preference on the flavour of toothpaste?" he laughed slightly.

"Oh, definitely cookie dough if there's any left" she laughed back.

Adam retrieved a bib and placed it on Jasmine's front to ensure she didn't get her top dirty. Adam hunted for the correct flavour of toothpaste in a drawer on one of the side counters, set up the toothbrush and began the cleaning. He used a mirror extremely precisely and gently to retract Jasmine's cheek whilst he cleaned her teeth. Once he was done, he rinsed her mouth with water and used the suction too.
The room grew quiet as the cleaning finished and the noisy instruments were switched off. Adam turned off the overhead light and moved it away from Jasmine's head, then returned the chair to its normal state so Jasmine could hop out. She removed the bib from her chest and chucked it in the bin.

"Thanks Adam" Jasmine said, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand to ensure there was no toothpaste on show.

"No problem" Adam replied as he threw away the gloves and pulled the mask down so it was situated below his chin.

"Right then, I'm going to head off now" Jasmine began. "I'll see you two tomorrow. And I'm sure I'll see you soon Billy" she smiled at me.

"Jasmine, before you leave we just need to have a quick chat" Sam muttered. "I'll be back in a minute" Sam said to Adam and I. "Adam, would you mind setting up for me please?"

Jasmine left the room, and Sam followed her out closing the door behind them.

Silence.