Chapter 20-

Thoughts began bolting through my head. 'Oh no, it's time. I could deal with everything else, but I haven't mentally prepared myself for this bit. My teeth are never going to be the same after this. What if it really hurts? I can't deal with this pain. What if people laugh at me? I'm going to look really stupid i'm sure of that. I'm going to have to go to the dentist so much more often now. I don't want braces. I don't. I don't. I don't!'
I began breathing really heavily, it wouldn't stop. My heart was racing so fast, I couldn't breath at all. My sight became blurry with the tears swelling up in my eyes. I felt so sick. I jolted my body forward sitting up in the chair, knocking the tray of tools far away and dodging the lamp over head. 'My breathing, I can't control my breathing' I thought to myself. 'Contol Billy, control.' But I just couldn't.

All of this happened within the space of about 5 seconds. Sam had pulled me into his arms and I was now sitting on his lap, his hand holding my head to his chest, the other wrapped softly around my body, softly stroking me. He felt so warm and homely, I held him tight not wanting to let go, ever.

"Shh, shh, shh, it's alright Billy, here, listen to my heart and sync your breathing to it. That's a good boy, slowly, calm yourself down." His voice was so gentle and calming, it made me feel so much better.

~Sam's POV~

"And now it's time for the braces" I stated, prepared to start my work. But before I could do anything else, Billy had bolted up in his chair, hitting my tools so they flew across the room. I noticed how heavy he was breathing and knew that this discomfort had to be a panic attack. He'd had them before, but they never seemed as bad as this. In a split second I pulled my mask and gloves off so Billy could feel more comfortable, and scooped my brother up in my arms like a bunch of flowers. I knew from past experiences Billy needed to calm down, so I allowed the beat of my heart to help slow his breathing down to a steady pace. After about a minute of holding him tight in my arms, his breathing lowered to a much more steady pace, and I saw him look up at me with great sorrow in his eyes.

~Billy's POV~

After clinging on to Sam for what seemed like hours, I'd finally calmed myself down enough to make conversation. Slowly, I looked up at my brother, still hugging him tight as ever. He looked back down at me with sympathetic eyes and warmth in his heart.

"I.. i'm really sorry S.. Sam" I began, sniffling as I spoke, "i'm just r.. really scared i... is all."

He smiled at me affectionately, before replying, "I know you are, and I understand that. It's not easy making changes or going through a procedure you're not used to. But I've got nothing else planned tonight and I'm willing to spend it all with you, so you're happy and comfortable. So don't worry Billy, we'll go at your pace- because I love you." He held me tight, as I began to sob into his chest. Never had I felt so much affection from Sam before, he was always so busy working and never had time for me. But now a different side was shining through, I felt overwhelmed.

"Why are you crying, Billy?" he softly asked, his cheek to my head; he wiped away the tears from my eyes and I began to answer...

"I just never get to spend any time with you Sam, I wish things were different. You're the only family it seems I have left- I love you."

There was a pause.

"Well i'm willing to change for the best Billy, I will make more time for you and we will spend more time together. I think that'll make us both much happier, don't you agree?"

"I agree" I responded, smiling delightfully. "I'm sorry Sam."

"You have nothing to be sorry about Billy" he informed.

...

"Can I get my braces now?" I asked.

"Never in all my life did I think you'd ask that question, but if that's what you wish, then your wish shall come true!"

We exchanged one final hug, then I was laid back onto the chair by Sam.

"I just have one request, Sam."

"What's that then, huh?"

"Please no mask...?"

"If that'll make you happy" he smiled, snapping on a fresh pair of gloves.