Chapter 44-

Today was the planned day for Adam to re-fit my braces. It was the day I'd been dreading since I returned back from the hospital the night of my accident and Sam had informed me of the plans he'd arranged. Adam was a nice enough guy, but I was use to Sam being my dentist, not Adam!

Straight after school was over, I took it upon myself to walk to my brother's dental office (as much as I didn't want to). I entered through the front doors and waltzed straight over to the front desk, but to my surprise it appeared Jasmine wasn't working today. Yet, as I turned around to take a seat in the empty waiting room, I saw Adam dawdle out from around a corner, and make eye contact with me.

"Ah Billy, you're here!" he exclaimed, pointing towards my direction and making his way over to me. "Come straight through" he said whilst smiling warmly.

Without any words, I followed Adam through to his room, and he closed the door behind us.

"Put your bag anywhere you like Billy, and then take a seat for me, if you'd be so kind."

Adam smiled the whole time, obviously wanting to make me feel comfortable. He knew for a fact I hated visiting the dentist, and Adam was a newbie to my usual procedures.

Even though Adam had given me instructions, I couldn't seem to follow them. My feet seemed cemented to the floor, I just didn't want to move.

"Are you alright, Billy?" Adam asked, frowing at me confused.

I quickly snapped out of whatever situation I was in and nodded my head swiftly.

"Err.. yeah.. completely fine" I smiled half-heartedly.

I cautiously lowered myself into the chair and took a few deep breaths. 'You'll be alright Billy' I kept saying to myself in my head. 'You'll be alright'.

"Okay then bud, just going to lower the chair now" Adam informed me. He lowered the chair very slowly, then prepped himself, gathering his tools and pulling on a pair of gloves, whilst I anxiously waited in the chair. After a few seconds, he rolled his stool over to me.

"Are you not putting a mask on?" I asked.

"I only do that if Sam's here, otherwise I don't care" he laughed. "Unless you want me to?"

Quick as a flash I told him 'no', to which he gave me a big thumbs up.

"Okay bud, firstly I'm just going to take a look at your teeth, just so I know exactly what i'm doing. Is that okay?" he asked, comfortingly, mirror in hand.

I nodded my head.

"Awesome bud. Can you open your mouth for me please?"

I tried to open my mouth, but my body just wouldn't let me. It was as if my lips had been stitched together! After a few seconds of starring into Adam's eyes, I finally managed to open my mouth a minuscule amount, to which Adam gently assessed my teeth. He was so much more careful than Sam and didn't pull my lips as much! After a few minutes, he removed his mirror from my mouth and informed me he was about to start applying the brackets. I kept my mouth open whilst he changed tools, yet as he was about to glue on the first bracket, I swiftly placed my hands over my mouth and clenched my eyes shut tight.

"Billy?" Adam said, extremely confused. "What happened? Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

I shook my head back and forth speedily gesturing 'no', then hopped out of the chair.

"I'm sorry Adam!" I said, as tears filled my eyes. "I just really don't want braces again!"

"Why's that?" Adam asked me, putting down his tools and looking at me inquisitively.

"They hurt! They're annoying! They're an inconvenience and I don't want to keep coming back to this place! I hate it here!" I began to raise my voice as I spoke, so Adam insisted that I needed to calm down.

"Billy, come sit on my chair" Adam said, standing up and rolling the chair over to me.

"No, Adam" I exclaimed, backing away from Adam. "I won't let you put braces on my teeth. I'm sorry Adam."

I felt genuinely guilty for putting this on Adam. He didn't deserve my annoyance, he deserved better than this. But, there was no other way of getting across my desires. I had to say it as it was.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do, Billy" Adam said, beginning to look very awkward. "I mean, it's out of my hands on what to do actually. Are you sure you don't want me to put your braces on?"

I stared at Adam blankly for a few seconds, then aggressively nodded my head.

"Sorry Billy, but I'm going to have to get Sam. There's nothing else I'm able to do."

"What, where is Sam?" I asked, beginning to get anxious.

"In his office, filling in important paper work" Adam informed me, whilst pulling off his gloves and chucking them in the bin.

"Adam! Please don't get Sam" I begged, as a tear began to slip down my face.

"I'm so sorry Billy."

Adam looked devistated, and as if he could cry himself. He could barely even make eye contact with me anymore.

"Adam. Please. Don't" I begged again.

Adam headed towards the doorway to retrieve Sam, but I blocked the way and pushed him back into the room. Tears began to stream down my face. Adam didn't show any slight forms of aggression back to me, but unfortunately, he managed to squeeze past me, and paced down the corridor towards Sam's personal office. I ran back into the room, closing the door behind me, and hid behind the reclining chair, out of sight.
I knew Sam was going to be disappointed in me. Not just disappointed, but angry too. An angry Sam was never a nice Sam. Adam was too much of a kind guy; Sam never would've let me get away with not having the braces. And that was the reason why I was so worried for Sam's arrival to the room!

About twenty seconds later, I heard the door open and footsteps entering the room. Then, I heard Sam's voice;

"Where is he, Adam?" Sam said. He sounded angry.

"I don't know" Adam replied shakily. "He was here when I left."

I held my breath, trying not to make any noise. But my sniffling gave away my position. I looked up slightly to see Sam looking down at me, with his arms crossed and an angry expression covering his face.

"Billy, what do you think you're playing at?" he asked with an annoyed tone.

I stood up from the floor, and slowly backed away from Sam, tears still slowly dripping down my face. Adam was stood in the corner of the room, looking down at the ground like a puppy who'd ripped up a cushion. Guilty.

"Well..." Sam droned. "Are you going to answer me?"

I sniffed a few times, then replied with a simple, "I don't want braces Sam."

"Why?" Sam bit back.

"Isn't it obvious why?" I fired back, with a sarcastic tone.

"Billy, they're good for your health. I wouldn't tell you to get them if it was pointless. Come on look, take a seat in the chair and Adam will do it nice and quickly. Or I'll do it if you like? What do you say?"

Sam began to make me angry. I shouted, "I said NO Samuel!"

"Billy Chespin, don't you dare shout at me!" Sam shouted back.

Had Sam forgotten about everything he'd said to me yesterday? About kindness, respect and love? I knew he never meant it when he said it! Of course he never meant it! How could I've been so stupid to believe him?! To think I trusted him made me feel like the biggest fool in the world! Idiot.

I looked at Sam with teary eyes, then at Adam, and then I legged it out of the room. Through the doorway, through the hallway, through the waiting room, through the front doors, into the car park and down the street; where I kept running and running and running and running and running...