Chp. 24 (Pt 3)

CAMILLE

My eyes travelled from August, and back to the man who was sitting in front of me.

Trav?

I attempted to figure out where in the hell I'd heard that name before, but I couldn't manage to remember.

"Aug, man, calm down-"

Travis held his hands up, attempting to calm a fuming August. I stood, not really wanting to intervene in whatever beef they had. But I knew that the last thing we needed was to attract attention. I looked up at August, gently placing my hands on his chest. "Aug....August, look at me."

He glanced at the man one last time before looking down at me. The look in his eyes had me wanting to back away and just leave the dude to 'fend for himself.

"Calm down. You're gonna attract attention."

He stared at me, and within a few seconds, he appeared a little more tranquil.

"Man, what the fuck you doin hea'? How you find me?"

"I'm auditionin' for a film up here, and I heard some niggas talkin' bout you hostin' this shit here."

August stared at him, clenching his jaw. "Juice called yo ass, didn't she?"

Trav smacked his lips and sighed, sitting his glass down. "Aight, man, yeah. But don't be mad at her, I was askin' bout you, and she just helped me out."

"You wasn't askin' bout me when you abandoned ya family."

August mugged him before grabbing my hand and leading me away from the table, leaving Trav to sit in the silence that followed. I glanced over my shoulder, noticing the look of disappointment on his face. I then glanced up at August, who still had a good 7 or 8 inches over my own frame, despite the heels that I'd worn.

His face held the exact opposite of Trav's. He didn't appear even the slightest bit remorseful.

"Who was that?"

He was silent for a moment, before responding, not even looking at me.

"He used ta be my brotha'."

Used to be?

"Well, why don't you talk to him? He seemed like he-"

August stopped walking, turning around. "I ain't got shit ta discuss wit' dat nigga."

He stared me down before grabbing my hand again, but this time, I snatched away.

"You need to talk to him."

He ran his hand down his face. "Man, I ain't finna do this shit wit you right na'."

I folded my arms, making it evident that I wasn't moving. I had no idea what he had against his "used to be" brother, but it was clear that they needed to talk.

"Camille, you'on undastand. Jus' stay outta it."

He turned to walk off, but I grabbed his arm, causing for him to turn back to me. "Tell me, then. Help me understand. You know you can talk to me about anything. No matter where we stand."

He stared down at me for a while, seemingly debating with himself. I turned over my shoulder, making sure that Travis was still seated, and sure enough, he remained where August had previously left him, looking like a lost puppy.

"Man, aight."

I still had an hour and a half until I had to perform, but I could already tell that my free time wouldn't be spent associating with the crowd. I allowed August to lead me to the back of the venue, and into a dressing room. Judging by the white cups and rillo papers that littered the vanity area, I assumed that it was none other than his own.