Chp 16

CAMILLE

"I'm okay, mom...really."

My mother sighed into the phone. She had called me as I was getting dressed. Today, the rest of the girls and I had been scheduled a fitting for the necessary attire for the event. We were due to leave in a few days, and everything was honestly hectic. I glanced at my phone, noting that it was nearing lunchtime.

"Can you atleast tell me where you're staying? We're worried about you, sweetheart."

I rolled my eyes, becuase I figured by 'we,' she actually meant 'her.' I hadn't spoken to my father since he basically disowned me, and although it hurt, I didn't plan on doing so for a while. I cleared my throat, looking at a blank space on the wall.

"Nah, mom, I can't do that. Don't worry about me....I'm doing better than I was before. What about you? How're you holdin up?"

I wanted to cut the conversation short, considering the fact that I had to be downstairs in less than 30 minutes, and I was still walking around in my underwear.

"I'm fine, baby. Just a little tired from work."

I felt bad for her. All she'd ever known was the life that we'd been living previously. My parents had always had money, so the new lifestyle they were living was a huge contrast. From what my mother had told me, she had taken on a night job, cleaning for large companies, and my father had too many side jobs to count. I could hardly bare having to see my parents, who had worked so hard all their life, having to struggle. They were basically having to start from the bottom.

When she noticed my silence, she laughed, attempting to lighten the mood.

"You'd be proud of me....I've been cooking every day."

I shook my head, smiling at her attempt to make light of the situation. I hesitated before speaking.

"And how's daddy?"

She took a breath before responding. "You know how he is. He's cooped up in that damn office half the day, and the other half, he's out working." She paused before continuing. "He really misses you, Cami....We miss you."

I rolled my eyes as if she could see me. "Well, he has a funny way of showin it, ma."

"Your father's pride always gets the best of him, Camille. You know that."

I was silent, becuase I honestly had no words for the situation at hand. Not only did he refute my aspirations of wanting to pursue a different future, but he basically left me to fiend for myself. Pride, or no pride, that was wrong as hell and he knew it.

"You should come by-"

I interrupted my mother, shaking my head. "Look, mom, I have to go. I promise to stay in touch, okay? I love you."

She paused for a minute before responding. "Think about what I said, Camille."

I huffed. "Okay, mom."

"I love you."

I walked into my closet in attempts of finding somethng to wear. "Love you, too."

As soon as the call ended, I tossed my phone onto one of the two cushioned seats that rested near my vanity. From what Trinity had expressed to me, we were gonna be trying clothes on all day. Opting for something on the comfortable side, I collected my attire before making my way back into my room. (Outfit in MM)

Just as quickly as I began to slip my clothes on, my door flew open. I didn't bother to turn around, because I already knew who it was. I glanced at him, sliding my shirt over my head as he propped against my door frame.