Chp 9

After the information we'd just watched on the news, Gio and I sat in complete silence. She reached for the remote before aiming it at the flat screen positioned on the wall. A couple of seconds later, the television screen went black.

Neither of us wanted to state the obvious. A little more than ten minutes went by before anyone spoke, breaking the silence.

"I'm gonna go check on TJ."

I nodded, not even bothering to glance up as the couch shifted. I ran my hands through my hair, sighing.

I jumped at the sound of Gio's voice, and looked up as she made her way to the kitchen.

"You know this is Ant's doin...?"

I watched as she got a box of apple juice that I'd bought for TJ. She closed the fridge and turned to me, poking the straw through the small box.

"I know..."

I followed her as she handed TJ, who was deeply engrossed in Bubble Guppies, the box of juice.

"What's the plan, then?"

I sighed deeply and shook my head. My curls slightly fell out of the bun i'd just put it in.

"I was about to break things off with him."

She glanced at TJ, who was paying us no attention, before folollowing me back to the kitchen.

I wasn't ignoring her question. But the reality of the shit I'd gotten myself in was starting to reach up and bite me in the ass.

"Don't do that. What's done is done, C."

I knew she wasn't gonna say I told you so, but I almost wished she had.

"You a grown ass woman, and you knew what you was doin, so I ain't gonna tell you nothin you don't already know. But you need to get your shit togetha, and fast."

I gently bit my lip, holdin back tears. Friends like Gio was what everyone needed in their life. She was always the voice of reason....and mature.

"Gio, I'm broke."

She continued to rummage through my fridge, not bothering to look up.

"Camille, now ain't the time to be playin around. You need to-"

When she finally looked up, and noticed the look on my face, she closed the fridge and walked to me enveloping me into a hug.

"What happened?"

I sucked in a breath in attempts of holding back my tears. "I don't know. My dad got caught up in some shit, and it fell back on us. Gio, what am I gonna do? He found out about school, and basically disowned me."

She rubbed my back comfortingly as I continued to ramble on.

"I can't afford to support myself, Gio. I have no money..,,no source of income. I can't afford this apartment, let alone my lifestyle."

She pulled away from me and moved a few strands of stray hair from my face. "Look around, Camille."

I let her maneuver me around in a complete circle before looking back at her. 

"All this shit is money. You gotta do what you gotta do. I ain't sayin sell all this shit right off the bat, but if it comes down to it, then get rid of it."

I nodded and sighed, glancing around. It was becoming more and more difficult to look at all the unnecessary shopping bags and shoe boxes that littered the apartment, half of them unopened.

"You gotta wake up, Camille. It's not the end of the world. You just gotta work for the guap now. Get you a job at the salon. Val could use the help. And you know if it doesn't work out, and you can't keep your place, you're welcome at me and Trim's shit."

I couldn't help it. I started bawling like a lil bitch. Despite the fact that she was like a sister to me, I usually avoided crying in front of Giovanna. Her hard exterior always made me feel like I could hold my own, no matter what. But seeing how sincere, and caring she was, I couldn't help but to let the water works run.

"Thank you."

She rubbed my back once again and allowed me to hug her for a moment longer before pulling away. She wiped the tears from my face, trying to avoid messing up my makeup any further.

"You know I'm here. So stop that cryin shit, aight? Pick ya head up and get to business."

----------------------

Within an hour, I'd talked to Val, who'd happily suggested that I came into work the next day. I looked at TJ, who was seated in my lap, before sitting my phone down.

"What you lookin at me for?"

I shook my head at his little rude ass before pushing him off of my lap and onto the plush cushion of the couch.

He giggled before hopping back into my lap and wrapping his little arms around my neck.

"Auntie Cami?"

I raised my eyebrows at him, knowing he was about to ask for something. "What?"

He laid his head onto my chest. "What's the matter?"

My eyes widened in surprise, and when I took a long time to respond, he continued.

"You look sad."

I gently bit my lip. "No, baby, I'm not sad. I just....."

I searched for the correct words to say to a child about the situation.

"I just have to stop spending money for a little while."

He rose his head, looking at me. "Why?"

I held my patience, and looked at him as he stared me in my face, invading all personal space.

"Because I don't have any more, TJ."

He was silent for a moment, before grabbing my face and looking me in the eyes.

"Is it because of those shoes you bought me yesterday? You can take them back, Aunt Cami. I didn't mean to take all your money."

Shit. I fet myself about to break down.

"No, sweetie, it's not your fault. Dont worry about me, okay?"

He looked at me for a little while longer before pulling me into a hug. Sometimes, his intelligence amazed me.

Just as we broke the hug, Gio returned from the kitchen. She gave us the side eye, causing for me to laugh.

"TJ, what did you ask for? I thought I told you I was gonna be-"

I cut her off, sitting him next to me.

"He didn't ask for anything. He was making me feel better. Ain't that right, TJ?"

He nodded, giving his mom an innocent look. She raised her eyebrows at us once again before bending down.

"Well, come put your shoes on."

He frowned and swatted my hand as I ran it through his curls. He was just like his bipolar ass daddy, jumping from 1 to 10 in a matter of seconds.

"Where are we going?"

He allowed Gio to slide his Retros onto his feet. "To see daddy."

He hopped up quickly. "Bye Auntie Cami."

I chuckled, shaking my head as he gave me a kiss before running towards the door. Gio shook her head at him before turning back to me.

"I'll be back in 30 minutes. Imma take TJ home."

I nodded, and looked up as she turned around once again. "And stop avoidin the situation wit Ant. I know you got a lotta shit on ya plate, but you can't just push it to the side."

She sounded, and appeared calm, but I knew she was worried for me.

"Ant really cares for you.The shit he pulled proves that."

With that, her and TJ walked out the door.

A/N: I typed this on my phone lol, so please forgive the time frame and typos. August is gonna be in the next chapter, which I've already started. I know y'all eager to see what he's feelin lol. Thoughts?