Chp 2

"Girl, yes. It was definitely time for an appointment. You been walkin' around like this-" He gestured to my hair. "All day?"

I laughed and rolled my eyes before plopping down into Alonzo's styling chair. He was known for being extra. Val playfully smacked her lips.

"Girl, don't listen to him. He always hatin' on somebody. Your hair is still laid to the gods."       

Valerie was the shop owner, and one of my closest friends. I  laughed and began replying to August's message.

Baby Daddy 😍❤❤😜😜💦💦💦💦💦: What you up to ma?

Me: Hair salon. Will you bring me something to eat?

"Come on so I can get you washed. What you want done? The usual?"

I thought for a moment, following Lonzo to the washing station. After debating with myself, I decided that I would go for something a little extra.

"I think i'l go for a color this time."

Alonzo nodded before smacking his lips and placing a slip around me.

"Imma hook you up, C."

I nodded and laid my head back into the wash basin, relaxing myself. I sighed as Lonzo worked his fingers through my hair, massaging my scalp.

"Did you find anybody to take Mimi's place?"

Alonzo smacked his lips as Valerie made her way back to the front desk to retrieve one of her customer's receipts.

"No. If that bitch could keep her legs closed, then we wouldn't have to worry about replacing her ass."

I laughed at Alonzo's comment, slightly opening my eyes. Valerie spoke as she glanced at the back of a shampoo bottle, reviewing it.

"I already told you, Cami. The position is all yours. I'm just waitin' on you."

I sighed and sat up, allowing for Lonzo to tousle my hair with a towel before leading me to the drying station. Valerie had offered Mimi's position to me several times before, but i'd never actually taken the initiative of becoming a part of the crew. Valerie owned one of the most sophisticated, and well-respected black hair  salons in all of the A. Every once in a while, i'd help around, but never as an employee. I knew that the offering had nothing to do with the need of money, or profit. It was all focused around my desire to do what I enjoyed. I thought for a moment as Lonzo set the time on the drier before lowering the hood. He stood back, folding his arms and mugging me. I laughed lightly, grabbing a magazine from the deep mahogany coffee table.

"Alright. Shit, i'll think about it."

He nodded, satisfied, before returning to his station. I didn't bother to glance up as I heard someone enter the shop. I flipped another page in the magazine, not paying much attention to the conversation going on between Valerie and who ever had just made an appearance. I sucked my teeth in disapproval when a tall figure stood directly in front of me, invading both my personal space, and reading light. I looked up, about to snap.

"What I done told you bout ya lil funky ass attitude?"

I laughed as August bent down to peck my lips before placing a large Popeye's bag into the seat next to me.

"Baby, i'm tired of Popeye's."

August mugged me as I whined. Nonetheless, I retrieved a warm box from the bag and opened it, quickly saying a prayer before biting into a piece of the chicken.

"I see ya greedy ass still eatin' it though."

"Nah, you just got her in check. We know this."

I frowned at Alonzo's comment.