Chapter 12: Pleb

Ashlinn and Five walk down the hallway as they head to Five's room to figure out their next course of action. Five suddenly came to a stop and Ashlinn bumps into him.

"What's wrong?" Ashlinn asks as she follows his line of sight. He looks in Klaus' room before looking down the hallway towards the bathroom.

"Is that...blood?" Ashlinn mumbles before pushing past Five and running into Klaus' room.

"Klaus! Are you okay?" She asks and Klaus turns to face her.

"Ashlinn, hey." Klaus smiles softly.

"Is everything alright?" Five walks in behind Ashlinn and Klaus looks at him.

"Yeah, I just...long night," Klaus says before turning back around.

"More than one, from the looks of it." Five walks further into the room and Ashlinn looks at Five with a confused expression.

"Yeah," Klaus says tiredly.

"I don't remember the dog tags." Five says and Ashlinn looks at Klaus again.

"Yeah, they belonged to a friend." Klaus pulls his shirt down.

"And the new tattoo?" Ashlinn pipes up and Klaus looks at his arm.

"You know, I don't totally remember even getting it. Like I said, it was a long night." Klaus says while making hand gestures and Five smiles.

"You did it, didn't you?" Five says and Ashlinn looks at him again.

"Did what?" She asks.

"What are you talking about?" Klaus asks as he sits on his bed.

"You know, I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus." Five walks over him and Ashlinn follows him.

"Symptoms of what?"

"The jet lag. Full body itch. The headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain." Five says and Ashlinn felt even more confused than she was before. What in the name of God is Five talking about? "You gonna tell me about it?"

"Your pals, when they broke into the house and couldn't find you, they took me hostage instead," Klaus says and Ashlinn frowns. She regrets not being there for him.

"And in return, you stole their briefcase." Five says with a smug smile.

"Briefcase? What are you-" Five cut her off by waving his hand in front of her face. She just scowls and looks at Klaus again.

"I thought there was money in the briefcase or I could pawn it, you know, whatever. And then I opened it." Klaus says with sadness in his voice as Five starts to pace back and forth.

"And the next thing you know you were where? Or should I say when?" Five says with a bit too much excitement. Ashlinn gives him a sad look which he ignored.

"What difference does it make?" Klaus mumbles and Ashlinn sits down beside him.

"What diffe-" Five stopped himself from snapping when he saw the glare Ashlinn was giving him.

"Okay, how long were you gone?"

"Almost a year." Klaus answers and Ashlinn looks at him with wide eyes.

"A year?" Ashlinn tried to keep her voice down, but she couldn't hide the shock in her voice.

"Do you know what this means?" Five stops pacing and he takes a step closer to Klaus.

"Yeah, I'm ten months older now."

"No, this isn't any sort of joke, Klaus. Hazel and Cha-Cha will do whatever they can to get that briefcase. Where is it now?" Five looks around Klaus' room in search of the briefcase.