Chapter 28: Choices

"Look, I hate to be the one to say this, but everyone needs to prepare." Luther's tone was serious and Ashlinn didn't like where he was going with this.

"For what?" Diego questions, seeing where he was going with this.

"To do whatever it takes to stop Vanya." Allison wacks Luther with her notepad. "We may not have a choice, Allison."

"I call bullshit. There's always a choice. More options." Ashlinn wasn't getting on board with the murdering Vanya train just yet.

"Yeah, like what?" Five questions her and she stays silent for a moment.

"I don't know. But we haven't even begun planning and we're already plotting-"

"Look, whatever we decide, we need to find Vanya." Luther cuts off Ashlinn. "And fast, okay? She could be anywhere." Luther stands up.

"Or...here." Klaus shakes a newspaper he picked up to read. "Look at this." He shows everyone what he found.

"Right, her concert." Ashlinn nods as she looks at the advert.

"That's tonight," Diego observes.

"Hello." They turn to see one of the employees at the bowling alley addressing them. "I hate to intrude, but my manager says if you're not gonna bowl, you gotta leave." She shrugs and walks away and they all look at the very angry manager who slams down a pair of shoes on the counter. Geez, issues much?

"Who's turn is it?" Diego asks as Luther picks up a bowling ball and throws it about three lanes over, getting a strike in the process. Allison turns her notepad around to show Luther what she wrote.

'She's our sister'

"We're the only ones capable of stopping this. We have a responsibility, to Dad."

"I'm sorry?! To who now?" Ashlinn stands up in defiance.

"To Dad?!" Diego also yells. "No, I've had enough about-"

"He sacrificed everything to bring us back together." He's making a right old habit outta interrupting people.

"I'm with Luther on this one." Five pipes up and Ashlinn turns to face him.

"Mc-fucking-xcuse me now?" He gives Ashlinn a weird look before shaking his head.

"We can't give her a chance to fight back." Everyone looks at Five. "There are billions of lives at stake. We're past trying to save just one."

"Hey, you know, guys, uh...maybe I could help." Klaus says and Luther tries to shoot him down instantly.

"Now's not the time-"

"No, let him finish." Diego cuts him off and Ashlinn had to do a double-take. Diego? Defending Klaus? What in the alternate dimension shit is this? "He saved my life today." Ashlinn's eyes widen.

"Klaus? Is that true?" She steps forward with a bit of excitement.

"Yeah, yeah. I did...take credit for it. In fact the real hero...was Ben." Klaus admits and everyone stared at him with disbelief. He could see that he wasn't convincing them. He sighs, "Today...listen. Today, he punched me in the face." He attempts to convince them and Ashlinn furrows her eyebrows.

"You told me about that earlier. I remember."

"Yeah. Yeah! Exactly. And earlier, at the house," Klaus makes his way up to Diego. "he was the one who saved Diego's life, not me."

"You are unbelievable, Klaus." Luther was getting impatient.

"Hey, now. Let's hear him out." Ashlinn says and she focuses her attention back on Klaus.

"Do you want proof? Is that it? All right, I-I'll give you proof." He grabs a bowling ball and Ashlinn's eyes widen. This isn't gonna go well.

"All right, it's showtime, baby." He gets ready to throw the ball and Ashlinn removes herself from harm's way by sitting down beside Five again.

"Catch!" He throws the ball, she and Five move out of the way and the bowling ball flies in the air and hits the ground with a disappointing thud. There was silence for a moment.

"Is there any way to silence that voice in your head that screams out to be the centre of attention?" Luther says and Klaus was starting to lose his temper.

"You know I liked you a lot better before you got laid." More silence. Ashlinn had to cover her mouth because of the looks on both Luther and Allison's faces. Priceless.

"Which was a complete...It-it wasn't his fault because he was ridiculously high, right?" Klaus tries to backtrack but only makes the situation worse. "And the girl, she thought he was a furry-"

"Stop!" Luther cuts him off and Ashlinn had to hide her face because of the tears forming from the silent laughing.

"Have I mentioned, you're a terrible person?" Five says and Ashlinn looks to see Luther and Allison weren't there anymore so she finally let out the laugh she was holding.

"Multiple times, but come on. You didn't find that even remotely funny. Did you see the look on Luther's face?"

"Excuse me?" A woman with a very high-pitched tone of voice approaches with, who Ashlinn assumes is her son. "It's my son Kenny's birthday today and...uhh, wouldn't you kids be happier playing with people your own age?" She asks, addressing Ashlinn and Five. "Assuming it's okay with your two dads?" She then looks at Diego and Klaus. Five and Ashlinn stare for a bit before Ashlinn absolutely loses the plot laughing. The woman looked taken aback. Then Five spoke.

"I would rather chew off my own foot." The woman rushed her kid away faster than you could say 'psychopath'. Ashlinn turned to Klaus and Diego.

"Hello, Fathers." She jokes, but her joke was not appreciated at the mentioned parties.

"If I was going to date a man, you would be the last man I date." Diego comments and Klaus lets out a small laugh.

"You'd be lucky to get me."

"That's right, Klaus. Don't lower your standards like Diego." She stands up to high-five him and Diego just rolls his eyes.

"What are we to do now?" Ashlinn asks looking around.

"Wait, I guess. Let Allison and Luther come back and work out a plan."