Chapter 21: Secrets

Feeling refreshed and in a change of clothes, Ashlinn makes her way down to the kitchen where Klaus and Luther were. She takes a seat beside Luther as Klaus pours him a cup of coffee. Looking closely at Luther, Ashlinn could see that he looked like death. As Klaus poured her coffee, Luther brought his cup up to his lips, but before he could take a sip, Five appears beside him and he takes it from his hands. Ashlinn almost laughs at the kicked-puppy look on his face as she takes a drink from her cup. Her face twists in disgust as the unnaturally bitter liquid hits her tongue.

"Bleugh!" She puts the cup down in front of her.

"Jesus. Who do I gotta kill to get a decent cup of coffee?" Five comments as he sits in the chair beside Ashlinn, also putting the cup down in front of him.

"Klaus, apparently." Ashlinn glares at Klaus as she wonders how someone could fuck up coffee this bad.

"Can we get started, please?" Luther says, impatiently.

"Has anyone seen any of the others? Diego? Allison?" Klaus asks as he moves around the head of the table.

"Allison and Diego are following a lead on Harold Jenkins." Ashlinn answers, taking another sip of her coffee and instantly regretting it.

"Alright then, this is the closest thing to a quorum that we're gonna get." Klaus hits a spoon off the table causing everyone to flinch at the sound. "Now, listen up. There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just gonna spit it out." He sighs, hesitating for a moment and everyone was getting impatient.

"Klaus."

"I conjured Dad last night." Ashlinn's head perked up at that statement. It was silent between them all as they all tried to find a hint of dishonesty in Klaus.

"I thought you said you haven't been able to conjure anyone in years." Luther comments and Ashlinn looks back at Klaus.

"Ah, yes, I know, but I'm sober. Ta-da!" He puts his hands up in accomplishment. "I got clean, yesterday to talk to someone special and then I ended up having this conversation with dear old Daddy himself."

"You're sober." Ashlinn grins widely as she claps her hands together. Luther and Five look at her.

"Has anyone got any aspirin?"

"Top shelf, next to the crackers." Five gestures towards where the aspirin was.

"It's slightly concerning you know that." Ashlinn comments and Five just shrugs.

"Hey, hey, hey, this is serious, guys. Alright? This really happened. I swear." Klaus sounded genuine which made Ashlinn want to believe him, but the thought of it was just so unbelievable.

"Okay, fine. I'll play. What did the old man have to say?" Five finally asks the burning question.

"Well, he gave me the usual lecture about my appearance and my failures in life. Yada yada yada. Even the afterlife couldn't soften a hardass like Dad." That didn't surprise Ashlinn in the slightest. Reginald was just that kind of man, dead or alive. "But, he did mention something about his murder or lack thereof, because..." He pauses for dramatic effect, leaving them in a bit of anticipation. "...he killed himself."

Ashlinn couldn't do anything but stare in shock, she couldn't sense any lie in his statement as she tried to use her power to make sure. Luther, on the other hand, wasn't convinced.

"I don't have time for your games, Klaus." He says as he stands up, done with this conversation.

"I'm telling the truth, Luther. I'm telling the truth." He attempts to convince him.