Chapter 19: So Close

One silent car ride later and they arrived at Leonard Peabody, aka Harold Jenkins' house. Ashlinn looked out of the car window to see if she could see any car in the drive.

"Doesn't look like anybody's home." She says as they step out of the car. She walks towards the house with the siblings.

"Still be careful. We don't know what Peabody's capable of." Allison warns and Ashlinn looks at the house again.

"Yeah, he didn't seem dangerous when I first saw him. Looked kinda scrawny" Diego comments and Ashlinn raises her brow at him.

"Based on what I've seen, that statement is invalid. Have you watched any true crime? It's always the scrawny ones. Take Five as an example." She gestures his way.

"Thanks." He smiles at her as he walks ahead.

"I didn't really mean it as a compliment, but you're welcome nonetheless." They walk up the steps to the house.

"So, what does this guy want with Vanya?"

"I don't know. Why don't we ask him after we kill him?" Five suggests as they approach the door. Diego sticks his hand out to stop them.

"Woah, Woah." Ashlinn looks down at his hand, stopping them and back up at him with a slight sneer. "Hey, look, I'm gonna burst through--" He cuts himself off as he realizes Allison had broken off and Ashlinn and Five weren't listening.

"You know, it would be nice for people to just stick to--" Ashlinn didn't hear the end of the sentence as Five grabbed her hand and blinked into the house.

"You ever gonna...not do that?" She asks and he shrugs as he walks towards the front door and she follows him, Allison joins them on the way. Just as they were walking down the hallway, Diego jumped through the window to the front door. Ashlinn watches as he lands, glass and wood falling everywhere around him.

"That looked painful." She steps toward him as he began to stand. Five then opens the door and Ashlinn had to stifle a laugh.

"You know the door was unlocked?" He points towards the open door as Diego regains his composure.

"Yeah, well, my way works just fine. Spread out. Yell if you, uh, you know, you're in trouble." Diego limps away and Ashlinn and Five share a look.

"Inspiring leadership." Five remarks.

"One of the greats."

"Well then, I guess we should do as he says, I'll look upstairs." Ashlinn breaks off as she jogs upstairs and she looks around the floor. "Oh, this is gonna be a pain in my ass."

After a few minutes of searching and Ashlinn had come up with nothing. His house was eerily empty and she didn't like the vibe at all. Finally, the only place that was left was the attic and she did not wanna go up there by herself, luckily for her, Allison walked up the stairs behind her and she lets out a sigh of relief.

"You wanna go first or...?" Ashlinn gestures towards the attic and Allison shakes her head.

"Nah, you got this." She encourages Ashlinn who just scowls at the door.

"Fine." She mumbles as she approaches the door and then pulls it down, revealing the ladder leading into the attic. "Onwards and upwards I guess." She mumbles under her breath as she climbs up, into the attic.

She stands up straight and the sight horrified her. It was posters and figurines of The Umbrella Academy with their faces scratched off, burnt or melted off. She felt a pang of fear spread throughout her as she realised that this, whatever Leonard Peabody or Harold Jenkins or whatever was plotting, the motive was personal.