Chapter 8: Attack

Ashlinn wakes up from her sleep. She hadn't been asleep for that long, she was way too stressed to get a good night's sleep. She hasn't gotten one of those since the miniature man-child showed up. She slips out of bed, barely keeping her balance. She wanted food...or maybe whiskey. She'll decide downstairs. She tiredly dragged her feet out of her room, through the hallway and down the stairs. Her feet take her to the kitchen where she quickly whips up a ham and cheese sandwich before walking into the living room and sitting at the bar. She grabs the bottle of whiskey and a glass before pouring the whiskey. She decided that both food and whiskey sounded good.

Though, something was bothering Ashlinn. She could hear the thoughts of two strangers. Well, she couldn't make out what they were thinking exactly because she was too tired, but she did have a bad feeling. She decided to put off her investigation until she was done with her little snack. That was until she was just about to take a bite from her sandwich when she heard gunshots ringing out upstairs. Ashlinn closes her eyes and she sighs in disappointment as she lays her sandwich down beside her drink.

It's gonna be a long fucking night.

"All I want is some peace and for there to be a day where I'm not shot at. Is that too much to ask? Apparently." Ashlinn mumbles to herself as she stands up and heads upstairs. "This is all shorty's fault."

She runs the rest of the way upstairs, ready to fight. She was just about to turn a corner when Diego grabbed her and pulled her back.

"Watch it!" Diego quietly snaps as he runs out and starts fighting the two people in masks which Ashlinn found creepy.

"Wait a fucking second." She looks at the masks again before realizing that these were the department store attackers. "Shit."

Diego runs past, grabbing Ashlinn's hand in the process, they ran in the opposite direction. Bullets ricocheted past them as they hopped the railing of the stairs and they ducked behind a table.

"Thanks." Ashlinn whispers and Diego dismisses her. They both look up at Reginald's painting which had bullet holes all over it. Thank god. That was an ugly painting. Ashlinn looks at Diego again as they hear footsteps approach. Diego moves, making a noise in the process, and in no time more bullets were flying their direction.

Then they heard some commotion behind them. Ashlinn peeks out from behind the table to see Luther and Allison fighting off the masked attackers. Luther flings the one in the pink mask out into the hall, but the one in the blue mask caught Allison's throat. Ashlinn and Diego immediately rush to help her. Diego jumps on the masked man's back and Ashlinn attempts to overwhelm his mind with thoughts. The man tries to fight Diego off while trying to deal with the sudden sharp pain in his head.

"Let her go!" Diego yells before Luther comes back into the living room and he grabs the man. The masked man releases his grip on Allison's throat before Luther throws him into the hall and he lands on the table. Ashlinn and Diego rush over to Allison to see if she's okay before being joined by Luther.

"Who the hell are these guys?!" Allison asks as she points out to the hall. Ashlinn sighs loudly and everyone looks at her. She contemplates telling them for a moment.

"I may have an idea," Ashlinn admits and they all glared at her almost as if they thought it was her fault even though it was their idiot brother's fault. "They're not after me so don't look at me like that."

"You're welcome, by the way." Luther turns to face Diego who rolls his eyes.

"I was doing just fine!" Diego snaps back and Luther shakes his head.

"Oh, yeah. You really had them." Luther argues and Ashlinn sighs. It's not like they had more important matters at hand at all.

"Ever hear of a rope-a-dope?" Diego yells before more bullets flew their way.