Chapter 4: Negative Thoughts

When Ashlinn reached the academy, she was exhausted. When she walked in she passed Klaus, who asked why she had blood on her, but she shrugged off his question muttering something about telling him in the morning. She reached her bedroom and took a quick shower before collapsing on the bed and falling asleep straight away.

'I can't believe Dad would replace Five just like that.'

Ashlinn could hear everyone's thoughts and most of them were the same. That she replaced Number Five. But she didn't. She just wanted a roof over her head, a bed to call her own, somewhere to go when tired or exhausted. She didn't want to be a replacement for their brother. She isolated herself from everyone, unable to bear the negative thoughts targeted toward her. But that all changed when the softest of the Hargreeves siblings knocked on her door.

Ashlinn shoots up from the bed in a cold sweat. Why is she having these dreams? She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn't notice Five beside her.

"Good. You're awake." He says and she screams and rolls off her bed. "OW! What the fuck Five?!"

Five just rolls his eyes.

"When you're done being overdramatic, get changed into something nice and come with me." Five says as Ashlinn stands up.

"Why should I? Last time I went somewhere with you, I was shot at." She says and Five puts his hands in his pockets.

"I believe I owe you an explanation. Now get changed. I'll be waiting." He leaves the room and Ashlinn could feel her frustration building up. That boy rubs her the wrong way. Maybe their relationship could still be saved after this explanation.

Ashlinn looks at her clothes for 'something nice' as Five phrased it. A button-up and jeans should be fine according to Ashlinn. She quickly gets changed before heading to Five's room. She entered just as Klaus exited the cupboard. She laughs as Five glares at him.

"That's so touching, all that stuff about family and Dad and time. Wow!" Klaus says as he steps on everything making a lot of noise.

"Would you shut up, she'll hear you!" Five snaps and Ashlinn laughs. Klaus turns to see her and his eyes light up.

"Is Ash coming?!" He exclaims and Five sighs.

"Yes, she could be of some use to me. Anyway, I thought I told you to put on something professional?" Five gestures to Klaus, who looked offended.

"What? This is my nicest outfit." He says and Five shakes his head.

"We'll raid the old man's closet." Five says while leaving the room.

"Whatever. As long as I get paid." Klaus says, following him and Ashlinn does the same.

"When the job is done." Five says before stopping again.

"Okay, but just so we're clear on the finer details, I just gotta go into this place and pretend to be your dear ol' dad, correct? What about her?" Klaus points at Ashlinn.

"She looks young enough to be your daughter so we'll go with that." Five responds and Klaus nods.

"Hey! I don't look that young!" Ashlinn crosses her arms and Five just nods.

"Whatever you say."

"Says the fifty-eight-year-old in the body of a thirteen-year-old." Ashlinn quips and Five shoots her a dirty look.

"Okay, kids. Stop fighting." Klaus smiles at his joke, but Five and Ashlinn glare at him. "Anyway, what's our cover story?"

"What? What are you talking about?" Five asks, confused as to where he was going with this.