Chapter 5: The Apocalypse

Five and Ashlinn exited the taxi outside a cafe. They both walked into the cafe, ordered their coffee and sat at a table in the corner.

"You want to know about the apocalypse? Why? No one else seems to believe me." Five leans forward across the table.

"Well, I'm possibly the only one that can gather proof from you," Ashlinn informs him and he gives her a weird look.

"What do you mean? Can you look into the future or something? When fighting the guys at Griddy's, it looked like you could predict their moves." Five asks and Ashlinn laughs.

"I wish it were that simple. My power is focused on the mind. Just from here, I can look into your mind and I can see that you are interested in me and you're wondering why I haven't backed out of this saving the world. If I was to touch you, however, I could look deeper and I could resurface memories that you forgot existed or I could just look at any memory. I hear everyone's thoughts all the time and I learned how to focus on one or how to tune it all out. I can do more than that, but I don't feel like explaining it." Ashlinn explains and Five was fascinated.

"So, you're very overpowered. Interesting. But it seems like you don't tap into the full potential of your power. Why?" He asks and Ashlinn sighs.

"It's very hard to control. When using my power I need to focus completely and when I had Reginald pressuring me, I couldn't do what he wanted me to do. So, this is the extent of my ability." Ashlinn says and Five sits back in his seat.

"You joined The Umbrella Academy two months after I left, right?" Five crosses his arms and Ashlinn just nods. "So, you were what? My replacement or something?" The tone of voice Five used when saying that was different to when the others said it. Ashlinn picked up on the fact that he was joking and she smiled.

"So what if I was? I'm sure I did a better job than you, shorty." She jokes back and Five looked shocked at his new nickname.

"You're like a centimetre taller than me."

"Still taller."

"Whatever." He mumbled, a smile playing on his lips, but he hid it so Ashlinn couldn't see. "So, you want proof that the apocalypse is coming?" He asks and Ashlinn nods.

"Yeah, I wanna know if it's going to happen and if it is I want to do everything in my power to help you." She responds.

"If you do that, you will be shot at more." Five says and Ashlinn shrugs.

"I mean, at least your thoughts are quiet, unlike your sibling's. I'd rather be shot at than to keep listening to their thoughts."

"Okay." Five says and Ashlinn holds out her hand. Five takes it and she could feel herself fall into his mind...

She looked around at the wreckages surrounding her. Her eyes widened as she saw fire and debris everywhere. This is the future? Everyone is gone.

"It's a shitshow, isn't it?" She turns to see Five with his hands in his pockets, walking towards her.

"What happened?" She asks and Five sighs as he spins around.

"I don't know. That's what I'm trying to find out. Hence the whole eye situation." He says as he takes the eye out of his pocket.

"Where did you get the eye anyway?" Ashlinn walks towards him and he faces her again.

"I found it in Luther's hand." Five looks at the eye again.

"What do you mean?"

"He was dead. You all were. You guys tried to stop whoever started this and you failed." Five looks back up at her. She had a look of fear in her eyes.