Chapter 25: High

Ashlinn and Klaus make their way upstairs and they meet up with Five and Diego. Klaus and Diego arrived back at the academy soon after them and joined them in their search.

"No sign of Vanya."

"She's not in any of the rooms."

"She's not downstairs either." They all determined that she was not there.

"Well, I'm out." Diego walks away.

"Wait, where are you going? Vanya's still out there and so are Hazel and Cha-Cha." Five calls out and Diego faces them.

"I know. I'm gonna get my things and then I'm outta here. I got some unfinished business with those fools." They watch as Diego walks away.

"Well then." Ashlinn sighs.

"Hey, did Dad say anything about the apocalypse when you spoke to him?" Five asks Klaus and Ashlinn listens. "Any clues as to how it happens?"

"No. No clues. Truly terrific shave. But no clues." Five stares at him for a moment before sighing and walking towards the stairs and Ashlinn follows him.

"You know come to think of it, he did mention something about my potential," Klaus follows after them and Ashlinn looks back at him. "how I barely even scratched the surface of my--"

"How did he know about the apocalypse?" It was clear that Five only had one thing on his mind.

"I don't know, but listen. This whole jumping through time thing of yours, how did...how did you know how to do that? Ashlinn? What about you and your mind thing?" Klaus and Five reach the end of the stairs and Ashlinn lags behind, taking a look at her hands for a moment.

"It's kind of always on." Gestures towards her head in a tired, lazy motion.

"I didn't." Five answers and Ashlinn felt a little disappointed by his answer. "You'd realize that if you were actually sober."

"Hey, I am sober," Klaus states as Five walks away. "I've been sober for two--almost two days now."

"Yeah, two days."

"Feels like forty-five years."

"Who are you kidding, Klaus? I've seen you fidgeting all day." Five says matter-of-factly.

"Five-"

"Well, I guess we're both fighting our addictions then." Klaus walks over towards Five, leaning down a bit.

"I'm not an addict."

"Yeah, you are. You're addicted to a drug called, the apocalypse." Klaus says in a slightly mocking tone.

"Klaus-" Ashlinn walks towards them.

"No, I'm not." Five denies, convincing no one.

"First sign, denial." Klaus turns his back on Five who teleports to face him again. Ashlinn swings around to face them again.

"You and I, we're not the same." Five points at Klaus who just laughs at him.

"Guys-" Ashlinn gets cut off for the third time.

"I've seen that look in the eye of someone who doesn't know who they are without their high anymore. Trust me. You got to just let it go." Ashlinn looks at Klaus surprised, that was weirdly good advice from Klaus. There was a moment of tension before Five threw the glass eye at the wall, shattering it, and causing Ashlinn to flinch.

Five walks away from Klaus in a huff and Ashlinn just watches him walk away. "Figuratively, but yeah, that works too." Klaus sighs and scratches his hand. "One day at a time."