Chapter 24: Glass Eye

"The bastard that nearly killed our sister is still out there, with Vanya." Diego stands in front of Klaus and Ashlinn who were sitting on the couch, Five walked over to the couch in front of them. "We need to go after her."

"Vanya is not important." Five states.

"Hey, that's your sister. A little heartless, even for you Five." Diego says and Ashlinn laughs.

"Nope, he's always like that."

"I'm not saying I don't care about her," He addresses both of them. "but if the apocalypse happens today, she dies along with the other seven billion of us. Harold Jenkins is our first priority."

"That's fair." Ashlinn stands up and walks over to Five.

"I agree, let's go." Diego, Five and Ashlinn go to walk away.

"You guys count me out," Klaus announces and they all look at him.

"What?" Ashlinn questions.

"I mean, you know, no offence or whatever. It's just...I kind of feel like this is a whole lot of pressure for newly-sober me, so..." He says and the three of them give him a confused look.

"You're coming," Diego states, no question about it.

"No, no, no. I mean, I think we can all agree that my power's...I mean it's pretty much useless. I'd just be holding you guys back." They continue to stare at him, more annoyed now.

"Klaus, get up." Five demands.

"You can't make me." His point was proven wrong by Diego who threw a knife between his legs. Klaus sighs.

"Then again, a little exercise couldn't hurt." Klaus hops off the couch and heads outside. Klaus, Ashlinn and Five look at each other before following Klaus out to the car. Five drove, Ashlinn was in the passenger seat beside him and Klaus and Diego sat in the back.

"So, do we have a plan for when we storm the instigator for the apocalypse's home or are we just going with the flow?" Ashlinn asks Five who shrugs.

"Kill the bastard." He simply states and she laughs.

"Okay, fine. I can get behind that. Then what?" Ashlinn asks but Five doesn't respond. "You back to being cryptic?"

"I figure that if I just ignore you, you'll stop talking," Five says and Ashlinn shakes her head.

"Oh Five, ask anyone in my life, that never worked." Ashlinn gives him a condescending smile.

"Could you two stop flirting up there? It's making me physically sick." Diego comments and Ashlinn scowls.

"We're not flirting." She denies and Five looks at her in a mocking hurt way.

"We weren't, I didn't know you were the type to lead a guy on, Linn." Five jokes and she glares at him.

"If you weren't driving, I'd punch you."

They pull up to Harold Jenkins' house again and Ashhlinn takes a look out the window.

"There's a car there, that's a good sign." She says as they get out of the car, they approach the front door and as they do Ashlinn decides to give Five a punch to the arm.

"Ow, what was that for?" He rubs his arm that was just assaulted.

"You're not driving anymore." Ashlinn walks through the front door and immediately she was taken aback by the state of the house. She walked further in and as she did, she spotted the body. It had an array of sharp objects sticking out of the torso and the mess that surrounded it was astronomical. It didn't look like it was a pleasant death.

"Jesus Christ. Guys look at this." The four stood over the body, Klaus bent down a bit to get a better look.

"It's not exactly what I was expecting," Klaus says and Ashlinn nods.

"The understatement of the year."

"Where's Vanya?" Ashlinn asks and Diego shrugs.

"Let's get out of here before the cops come," Diego says as he and Klaus begin to walk away. Five stayed, staring at the body and Ashlinn looked at him.

"In a minute." Five approached the body, pulling the glass eye he's been carrying for forty-five years out of his pocket.

"Five, please don't tell me you're gonna put the eye in-you're already doing it." Ashlinn grimaces as Five puts the eye into the empty socket. Klaus got closer for a better look.

"Same eye colour, same pupil size. Guys this is it." The eye I've been carrying around for decades, it--it's found its rightful home." Ashlinn and Diego get closer and she gives Five a concerned look.

"Fucking poetic." She looks at the eye with a disgusted look. Five pulls the eye back out and Ashlinn takes a few steps back. "That's fucking disgusting."

"We got the guy we needed to kill to stop the apocalypse," Diego says and Ashlinn looks at him and then a Five, but regrets it as he was still fumbling with the eye.

"Yay! Let's go." Klaus goes to walk away, but Diego drags him back.

"No, no. Wait, wait. It can't be this easy."

"Don't say that! Every time someone says 'too easy' a wrench gets thrown into the system." Ashlinn exclaims and the three guys looked at her.

"Paranoid much? Anyway, this is the note I got from The Commission. The one that says 'Protect Harold Jenkins'," Five stands and shows the note to the other three. "aka, Leonard Peabody. But who killed him? Who did this?"

"I have a crazy idea. Crazy, but, why don't we find Vanya...--" Ashlinn didn't hear the end of the statement because Five had taken her hand and once again teleported, catching her off guard once again, she let out a little yelp as they arrived back at the academy.

"You need to stop that," Ashlinn says as she composes herself.

"Hopefully Vanya's here, you search downstairs, I'll search up." Five goes to walk away but Ashlinn stops him.

"Five, I don't want to be a downer, but-" Ashlinn begins but Five stops her.

"I know, but let's not jump to conclusions until she tells us herself." He takes off searching and she sighs before taking off to search downstairs.