Chapter 1 - The Outbreak

I woke up to panic from the streets. The news said it was the end of humanity, but I refuse to believe that. Surely there would be some survivors, and I was determined to be one of them. I got out of my bed and went to find my dad, but when I walked into his room, only the tv was on. Another sudden bomb. More sick, crazy people whose skin were decayed and rotten. I went down the stairs, into my kitchen. My dad's phone was buzzing signaling a new text message. Uncle Tom. I read the messages:

Where the hell are you?

Sickness is spreading quick. We gotta run.

I'm getting worried, call me.

I heard a noise coming from outside in the backyard. My dad quickly opened the sliding door, ran inside, and slammed it shut. "Dad? Where have you been? What's happening?" I asked him eagerly.

"I'll explain in the car. Right now we gotta go."

Uncle Tom ran through the sliding door, shattering the glass. What the hell? He jumped on dad and tried to bite him.

"Amelia, run! You have to go! It's the only way you can have a chance at surviving."

Without hesitation, I ran. And I kept running until I reached downtown where the outbreak started. I don't know why I ran here. This was not a good idea. Zombie-like creatures chased people until they turned them too. Out of nowhere a man grabbed me from the back of my shirt and pulled me inside a car.

Author's note:

This chapter was inspired by the video game 'The Last Of Us'. From here on out, though, this story will have its own independent plot line. However, you may see some things in the plot from AMC's The Walking Dead. I really have high hopes for this story and seeing how it goes and I can't wait for you guys to read it. I hope you all enjoy!

BROKEN

Xoxo,
Grace