Chapter 28 - Suffering

The next morning, I decided to go for a walk in the woods. I know it's dangerous, but ever since Carl dragged me out here it's been my safe haven. Dad was out again, but this time with Tara, Eugene, Glenn, Noah, Nicholas, and some other people I haven't quite met from Alexandria.

After about a mile of tiring walking, I sat down on a log when I heard leaves crunch. I looked around quickly and heard a familiar voice say, "You shouldn't be out here alone, you know."

I sighed. It was just Carl. "Yeah, well, you really shouldn't be following me."

Carl walked over and sat down beside me. I felt uncomfortable in this situation. "Amelia...I'm willing to wait as long as it takes until you realize that you are the best thing that's ever happened to me. Whether you like it or not, you will be in my life. You will always be in my life. No matter what the hell my dad says. It's my decision...not his. Amelia, I miss you...I love you...," he said, reaching for my hand. "I love you...," he repeated.

"Carl...," I whispered, not knowing what to say.

"Please...just let me do this at least once...," he whispered back, his voice low.

He leaned in to me and gently crashed his lips on mine. I never realized how much I wanted this until now. And in that moment, I forgot about the whole situation. It felt like nothing could tear us apart. Ever. When he pulled away, it was complete hell.

"I love you too...," I swallowed.

He pulled me back in for another kiss when we saw the group coming back toward Alexandria. We both got up and walked back together, both excited to see our people again. How was I going to tell Dad about Carl though? Would he let me date him?

Well, I didn't have to worry about that for long because when we did get back, he wasn't there. Nor was Noah. I saw Glenn talking to Deanna and ran up to them, Carl following behind me.

Glenn turned to face me, with an apologetic look on his face. He slowly nodded his head back and forth to say "no" and I knew what that meant.

I have lost my father yet again. I dropped down on the hard road, balling the living hell out of my eyes. Carl kneeled down beside me and tried to comfort me, but I blocked out all of his words. I rocked back and forth, my hands over my ears the whole time.

It came to the point where Carl had to pick me up and carry me into my house. By that point, I was out of tears. I was in the shock stage. I lost my father not once, but twice.

Carl laid me down on the couch, with tears streaming down his face. I could see he was in pain to see that I was in pain. "Ca-rl," I choked out and looked at the space beside me. He sat down and held me. "Noah died too," he mumbled. "He was apart of our group when you left...he was with Beth."

"What happened to her?" I asked, looking into his eyes.

"I think you've had enough bad news for one night...," he said apologetically. I put my head on his lap and he had his arm around my shoulders. We stayed like that until sun rise.

"You okay?" Carl asked me in the morning when I sat up.

"No," I replied.

I noticed he had his orange flannel off. He looked like his old self. He still had that baseball tee on and that was enough to make me feel a little better. He kissed me softly on my forehead and stood up.

"If you need anything...anything, just please come and get me."

"I will."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Ron stopped by at the same time Carl showed up again. It was really awkward for me since I thought Ron was hot, but I was dating Carl. Carl came in without a second thought. He intertwined our hands and gave me a little squeeze. I could tell Ron was bothered by this.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Amelia. I know how hard it was losing my parents," Ron said.

I just nodded. Ron wasn't going to give up until I talked to him. "Carl - you're really lucky. Amelia and I would probably do anything to spend one more second with our fathers."

I could tell Carl was mad. But it pushed the feeling aside for my sake.

"Let's play video games," he said, pushing Ron towards the door.

Author's Note:

YAY THEY KISSED! How many chapters should this FanFiction have? I'm thinking around 40-45, but I want your opinions!

Next time on Broken -
"Stop being interested in my girlfriend dumbass."

"Enid?"
"I'm sorry I didn't come any sooner. I just found out today. I'm so sorry."

"Am I dying?"
"It's okay...it's okay...just look up at the sky. See that? That's the orange I like."

Xoxo,

Grace