Chapter 23 - Maybe

"Do you think they'll come back for us?" I asked Beth on lunch break.

We had salads, which I don't know how they got the stuff to put it together, but I'm pretty sure they had to have a garden somewhere.

She shrugged. I guess she was right. They didn't know where we were, they didn't even have a clue. Plus, Rick already kicked me out of the group. Would he be willing to take me back in?

"Well, we need to get out of here. With or without them. Look...please don't say I'm crazy...but," she continued,"I think we should kill the head doctor...and anyone who gets in our way. If you go down the elevator at the end of the hall, there's a room with an exit."

Yes, this was crazy. But, they are holding us hostage. However, that doesn't mean we should kill them.

"What if we just sneak out instead of killing them?" I asked.

She hesitated for a moment. She must really hate this place and these people. After a while, she sighed and replied, "Alright, fine."

That night, when we were supposed to be sleeping, we prepared. We packed food, flashlights, scissors (the only weapon we could have access to), water, etc.

But, something happened.

Once Beth and I made it outside, guards started coming. They held down Beth as I climbed through the hole in the fence and into the forest. And as I looked back at her one last time, I could see her smirk.

I ran. And kept running. There is no looking back now. I knew the group would find her, they had to. Daryl wouldn't just leave her like that. Plus, no one wanted to see Beth go. They needed her.

Maybe...maybe this was for the best. Maybe this was a sign. I keep getting separated from the group...maybe this just wasn't meant to be. Maybe it was for the best.

Was I going to miss them? Yes...god, yes.

Is Carl going to find someone better; someone more loving? Yes.

Will my heart ever reunite again? I don't know.

But what I do know is this:

I learned a lesson from all of this. I learned that maybe we feel so sad and alone because we put little pieces of our heart into everything we love. I've learned that when life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.

I have grown so much from all of this. I'm stronger now. Will I ever see the boy in the sheriff's hat again? I don't know. Maybe we'll meet again, when we're older. Maybe then we'll be better for each other.

Author's Note:

I had a snow day todayyyyy😍 and I just saw the duff and I cried tbh. It was so amazing though!

Xoxo,

Grace