Chapter 23: Spanner In The Works - Part 1

Three weeks later...

"Oh my god, Ari... look how cute!" From the squealing noise she made you could hear the smile and excitement in her voice, though, you would have to take that for granted as the tiny, sage green onesie (feet included) was being held up over her face.

I sighed happily. "That is adorable... I want it so bad!" I decided almost immediately as she brought it over to me and laid it into my awaiting hands. "So soft, too!"

Her face suddenly became serious. Her jade eyes piercing into my deceitfully blue ones. "Buy it!" She ordered. Her whole expression eliciting a chuckle from myself.

I wanted it. I wanted everything... but who knew how much time we had with the baby actually being a baby due to the exceptionally fast growth rate. Renesmee was basically out of newborn clothes after forty-eight hours. "But we have so much newborn stuff already, we'll have even more after this afternoon. The baby is going to grow so quickly I don't think they'll even get a chance to wear everything we've bought or been gifted." No doubt Alice was going to have a mountain-sized pile of clothes stashed somewhere as well.

If the baby was growing twice as fast as a human at the moment, that could continue through their life. They would be full grown by what? Ten years old. The thought of that was terrifying. The baby would only be a newborn for two weeks rather than a month... I think we had enough newborn clothes that would last for about five months.

Scarlett huffed, her shoulders moving with her causing her blonde curls to bounce. "Well, I'm sure that now we know you can have babies, you're gonna have more than one, right?" She blinked at me. I blinked back in thought.

I didn't know how it worked, well I knew how I got pregnant - obviously! But I wasn't sure how my body worked biologically. Could I get pregnant again? I didn't have periods, but then again, I didn't have them before this baby.

I smoothed my thumb over the cotton. "I'd like to." I said, a little too dreamily.

Scarlett took hold of my arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. "So just buy it."

I looked from the baby grow and then up to Scarlett. Her pleading, persuasive smile was enough to make anyone give in to anything. "Fine!" I huffed, not being able to help my smile.

We browsed for another ten minutes or so before deciding we really did have enough baby clothes, toys and books. Our not-so-spontaneous trip to Port Angeles this morning had been suggested, more like forced, by Alice so that she could get the house set up for the party this afternoon. The house was to be decorated in an abundance of pinks and blues so that Jake and I could finally find out if we were having a boy or girl. He was still adamant it was a girl, I was slowly being convinced.

Scarlett and I had already been to three stores prior to this, two being baby stores, the other a bridal one. Jesse and Scarlett had only been engaged for three weeks but she was more that eager to start having a look at things just to get some ideas.

Whilst the store assistant was bagging up our items, Scarlett's phone rang out. "Jesse's calling. I'll just be outside." I could tell that she wanted privacy in case it was related to the afternoon's events. I had been so good in keeping my full shield in place, I was actually quite proud with myself for not peaking. I nodded to her and she winked at me before exiting the store.

I paid for items and no more than two minutes later I was walking out into the cool October air, both my hands full with shopping bags, ready to hand some of them over to Scarlett. I was of course more than capable, but we didn't want people asking questions. Scarlett wasn't exactly where I expected her to be, she was about ten metres away from the store entrance, and when I saw who she was talking to I almost dropped the bags.