Chapter 9: Desert Antics

Jake's POV

"My head." Embry was laying across the rug in the middle of the lounge, face down I might add. The Vegas heat and sunlight was too much for our hangovers so we were hiding — and being miserable — inside where there was access to air conditioning.

"We all feel the same Em, you don't have to remind us every five minutes." Paul groaned from his slumped position in one of the leather armchairs.

"Must suck being human." Emmett taunted from behind the couch I was laying on. I grabbed the cushion that I had settled over my eyes and threw it in the general direction where Emmett's voice came from. "You missed me." He teased as I heard the pillow hit the floor with a light thump.

The adults of the group; my dad, Rob and Charlie, were sensible and didn't drink as much as us on our first night, they were out by the pool enjoying the sun. To be honest it was mostly a blur to me, we had only spent about four hours out as we had only just arrived, but I must've drunk so much to hardly remember anything. All I could remember was that I was playing blackjack and then I won, celebrated and after that everything was fuzzy until I woke up two hours ago.

"Jake, can I talk to you for a minute." Jesse's voice called from the hall, his voice was clipped, kind of angry.

I rolled my eyes and fought the urge to throw up as the room began to spin as I tried to sit up. Why did he always have to be so angry? His temper was as bad as when we first phased, Scarlett needed to up her game and help ease his built up tension. Literally, the only guy left that had imprinted that still had anger management issues.

"Jacob." He seethed, though I admit this time the urgency in his voice had me walking towards him a little faster.

"What? What is it?" I asked once he was in sight. He was standing on the last step of the staircase, his hands clutching his phone so tightly that I thought the screen would crack.

"Tori just text me, it's about my mom." He took a breath but I could see the air around him quivering. This definitely wasn't good.

"Jesse, tell me." I tried to keep my voice down, from the way Jesse was acting it seemed he wanted it to be kept quiet for now but it was something serious for sure.

"That's asshole." He spat, his lips curling into a snarl. Before I could ask him what he meant, he continued. I was becoming anxious, my palms were sweating and my heart was beginning to beat a little faster. What had got him acting this way? "He laid a hand on my mother!"

Then it clicked. Scott. That filthy son of a bitch who had unfortunately got with Aria's mother. I didn't like him from the get go, he set me on edge, but now I knew why. How could he possibly think he could get away with this?

"What did Tori say?" I demanded through gritted teeth. I was now at the same level as Jesse. How could Aria and Tori possibly be handling this knowing some sick bastard had laid his hands on their mother?

"The girls noticed bruises, they haven't talked to Mom about it yet." He explained whilst furiously typing on his phone.

"I'm calling Aria." I announced, feeling my blood boil as I fished my phone out of my shorts and hastily dialed Aria's number.

I held the phone to my ear as I tried to control my breathing. I needed to be calm for Aria, god knows what she was going through. Her weekend that was meant to be for celebrating was now ruined but this vile assholes actions.

"Pick up, pick up." I muttered to myself as the phone rang out and the voicemail answered. I tried again twice before giving up and calling Tori seeing as she was texting Jesse. Within two rings she answered.