Chapter 17: Mnemba Island

Less than a mile. The whole island's circumference around and diameter across was less than a mile.

If my thirst returned over the next few days, which I knew it was going to, I was going to be screwed. If I had guessed correctly, at this rate I was needing to feed every two days. I'd have to swim back to the mainland and hunt there... and what was on offer? Pigs? Goats? I had to turn to taking away people's livestock, their livelihoods just so that I wouldn't eat them. God only knew how I was going to hide swimming back to the mainland from Jake. Maybe I'd just have to wear him out enough so that he was knocked out for the whole night. That was definitely possible.

I had kept my promise and hadn't pushed him away. We had returned to how we were before the bloodlust started. When I returned to the cottage after my midnight 'snack', I washed myself briefly and climbed back into bed with Jake. Immediately his arms wrapped around me tightly and he breathed me in before burying his face in my hair. I then realised that my own personal secret was safe.

The next morning started as not just the tenth day of our honeymoon but the first day of our luxury private island getaway. From the local Ngorongoro Crater airfield we flew three hours to Zanzibar - the mainland where I would get my blood source from - and then from there, a twenty minute boat ride to the true barefoot haven that was Mnemba Island.

Like scattered diamonds, the sun bounced off of the ripples that the waves left behind. As the boat approached the shoreline the waves broke, the tips frothing as they rolled towards the white sand, lapping at the beach before slinking back again as another wave took its place.

The engine to the boat stilled as we rocked over the waves a few metres away from the exposed sand. It was the purest, whitest sand I had ever seen; the beach stretched around the whole circumference of the island. About 100 yards back from the waters edge began the small tropical forest that took over the centre of the island, and embedded within the tree line were ten cabins, with a large beach restaurant facing the sea.

I didn't know which cabin was ours, but they all looked extremely beautiful, settling in with the picturesque location perfectly. With walls and windows draped in white linens, and wide window-like shutters in place of doors. The doors were open, displaying the pristine four post bed that was also draped in white linens in the centre of the room, with a small corridor going further back into the cabin - an area my eyes couldn't reach. Outside each cabin there was a small lounge area with a fire pit and a table with two chairs. Romantic nights in were going to be a must.

As we were told that our luggage would be taken to our cabins separately to us, a small gate was opened just to the left of the front of the boat. It was too shallow for the boat to go inland any further so we had to step off the boat into the foot and a half of blue water that flowed around us.

Jake stood first, the boat swaying lightly under his weight as walked towards the gate. One of the crew offered him a hand as the jump was about three foot down until his feet would touch the sand under the waves. Politely, although I knew he was being a show off, Jake declined the help and somewhat gracefully jumped over the edge of the boat, using his hand as leverage on the side of the boat so he wouldn't make too much of a splash.

"Mrs Black?" The crew member called after looking down at Jake with approval. As I stood, I pushed my sunglasses back to sit on top of my head, tucked my phone into my bra and hiked my maxi skirt up and tucked the extra material into the waistband to stop the majority of it getting wet.

The crew member raised his eyebrows at me and sent me a mischievous wink. I gave him a tight smile as I walked towards him and winced slightly as Jake growled lowly from down beside the boat. The waves gently hitting the side of the boat dulled his threat.