Chapter 8: Bruises

"What do we do about Mom?" Tori was sat on the floor by my feet, her makeup spread out around her as she used the wall length mirror to help her apply her makeup.

"We need to confront her, but we need to do it in the calmest way possible. Be as reassuring as we can." I sighed as I unscrewed the lid to my mascara, then brushed the excess liquid off the wand and onto the top of the bottle.

"Let's do it tomorrow, give her the night to let loose and forget whatever he has done to her." Tori considered, pausing her makeup routine to try and stop herself from crying.

I bit my lip to stop my own tears and dropped to the floor to sit beside her. I wrapped my arms around her tightly and her head dropped onto my shoulder. "I know what he's done to her... but okay." The words left me in an exhausted breath.

It was our last night before we were due to fly home tomorrow morning. It had been an eventful weekend with a few downs to ruin the ups. Tonight we were going out clubbing, dancing away the issues that had surfaced and just trying to celebrate what we were actually here for.

Our mother and Aunt Renee had joined the party just after noon yesterday. They were all hugs and kisses, asking how we had been since the last time we had seen them. We kept quiet about how things ended last time and I made no effort to ask how Scott was doing, I didn't even want to think of that man. It would've just ruined my happy weekend.

Shortly after their arrival came the task of introducing both my aunt and my mother to our 'newest' family member. Renesmee was brought before my aunt and mother as Esme's newest adoptive daughter. Bella stood back a little reserved and she admitted jealous. Seeing her mother fawn over little Nessie not knowing it was her granddaughter was a little heartbreaking. Aunt Renee was a bit thrown off by the resemblance between Ness and Bella, especially with Bella's contacts in, though she assumed it was just a coincidence. It was weird seeing her with brown eyes again, it was also a bit strange looking in the mirror and seeing full blue eyes on myself again. And though Renesmee was an intelligent girl, her mind so much more developed than her body, seeing her finding it a little funny calling Bella her name instead of 'mom' was a little amusing.

The day was spent catching up on anything we had missed in the last two months, with my mother and Renee getting to know Nessie and her fake back story. It included never knowing her real parents, going straight into foster care as soon as she was born. I think she made up her story as she went along, I knew for sure that Bella was going to be very interested in how she came up with some of the details... I'm pretty sure Nessie said something about being left in a box by the side of a road.

Once everything had calmed down we went back to lounging around the pool, alcohol again being shared around as if we had an unlimited supply available. Mom and Aunt Renee went to their rooms to change into something a little more comfortable to join us outside, Renee emerged in a cute one piece with a loose, lacy kaftan to wrap around herself. Then came Mom, dressed in denim shorts that stopped just above her knee and a long sleeve cotton t-shirt.

"Mom, aren't you hot?" I asked her, noticing her pulling on one of the sleeves of her shirt. I could even see the perspiration building on her forehead.

She made her way over to a free sun lounger that was placed in the direct sunlight. It was so hot today even I could feel myself getting a little too hot. All of my guests turned to look at my mother in surprise.

"No, I'm fine sweetheart, don't worry about me. Go have fun. I just stupidly forgot my bathing suit, that's all." I watched her uneasily as she seemed to be getting slightly nervous with me looking over her.

"I have a spare suit if you'd like to borrow it, Lily?" Esme offered, standing from her chair in the shade ready to pop into the house and get it for my mother.