Chapter 1: Clouded Happiness

The garden was beautiful. The early morning sunlight was filtering through the trees and casting light into the room. It brought the first strong rays of the day, the ones that brought true warmth. The grass was laden with the remains of the last of the winter snow and the buds of new flowers were beginning to make an appearance.

Today was meant to be a day filled with joy, congratulations and excitement, but I couldn't help the envy, dread and jealousy that made its way into my heart each time these moments occurred. I couldn't help it, but every time there was a new 'pack baby' I felt this way.

I should be used to feeling like this now, my fate was sealed. I had been a vampire-shifter hybrid for five and a half years now, still frozen at seventeen, when really I should twenty-three.

My breathing hitched as I tried to control my emotions, no one could know I still felt this way... Jacob couldn't know. I looked down at the tiny, blush pink baby grow in my hands and ran my thumbs over the soft fabric. I'd just have to settle with being the favourite aunt.

I cast my eyes back up to the blooming garden, the spring morning a perfect setting to bring a new baby home to. I tried to smile, letting the excitement of holding a newborn in just an hours time take over. I sniffled again and wiped the tears from my eyes, that was enough moping for today.

I turned away from the window and took in the completed nursery, accented with beautiful girly light pinks and purples. I just hoped that Sam and Emily loved what Alice and I had designed for their new baby girl.

A crash sounded from the kitchen downstairs and the booming laughter of some of the pack boys shook the house. Their minds filled with the image of Quil's weight crushing a kitchen stool he had decided to stand on.

I groaned to myself, why couldn't they just show a little maturity? I put the baby grow back where it belonged, gave the room a once over to ensure everything was in place, and then blurred down the stairs to the kitchen.

"How hard is it to hang up a few banners?" I snapped as I charged into the room, the laugher silencing immediately. "And why the hell did you need a stool in the first place?"

They were all imbeciles. Their heads practically touched the the ceiling anyway, why would they need a stool to pin banners up?

"Funny." Quil shrugged as I fought the urge to scream. It was hard to believe — or even come to terms with — he was now technically my brother.

Jesse, Tori and I were originally happy for our father when he began dating Quil's mother, Joy, about three years ago, but when they told us Joy was moving in we became distraught... because that meant Quil was moving in as well. I did love Quil, but living him showed a whole new side to him. I truly was surprised he hadn't been murdered yet.

The only perk to having Quil around was that he brought Claire with him. The gorgeous little toddler that I once loved to play with was now a cute, little seven year old. Quil still had a lot of waiting around to do, another nine years at least, so really he wouldn't be in a relationship until he turned 32... that also earned him some lighthearted abuse from the pack.

Seth, however, only had three more years to wait until Bella and Edward would consider letting Renesmee date. My beautiful no-so-little cousin was now four years old, but looked around the age of an eleven year old. Luckily for her, Seth spent half his time staying with the Cullens, and half his time at home with his mom. Sue and Uncle Charlie still hadn't moved in together... they were using the term 'taking it slow' to the extreme.

Unfortunately, shortly after Sam and Emily's wedding, Leah left La Push. She hadn't returned for longer than a few days at a time, and had moved across the country to Maine. We got a few updates from her from Uncle Charlie, Sue and Seth; she was working as a book editors assistant and had a boyfriend named Simon — though he wasn't an imprint. She had managed to stop phasing and now had what she always wanted... a normal life.