Chapter 19: Unexpecting The Unexpected

Aria's POV

"Right, lesson number one, do not give into temptation straight away." Renesmee stated prudently, placing her little hands on her hips as she walked a short line back and forth in front of Bella and I. I could practically imagine her in a little military uniform, barking orders at everyone... someone had been spending too much time with their Uncle Jasper.

It took every ounce of my being and soul to not laugh at her. One glance at Bella who was standing on my left and I could see she felt the same way, she had sucked her lips into her mouth to avoid letting out a single sound that could be taken for a laugh.

"Are you listening?" Nessie snapped, glaring at me with irritation. She was going to be five in a months time, she currently looked like a twelve, maybe thirteen year old. Despite her mind excelling the age of her physical appearance, she definitely had the attitude of a tween.

"Sir, yes, Sir!" I shouted back, no longer being able to hold back the snickering cackles as Bella burst into fits of laughter beside me.

"Mom!" Ness complained, stomping her foot into the grass, a cloud of dust billowing into the air around her foot. "Aria! This is serious. Do you want to learn or not?"

"Sorry Ness, yes I do. Please continue." I bit the inside of my cheek to refrain from laughing again. Nessie scowled at me, she looked so much like Edward when she did that.

"Dial it back a little, sweetheart. We're not in military camp. We're just trying to help Aria." Bella said in her motherly tone, a reassuring smile on her face.

Renesmee nodded and continued with explaining her routine for how she dealt with her bloodlust. It was in fact Jasper's idea for Ness to lead today's 'training' session. Over the last week and a half I had only fed twice, I had continued to try and push the feeding back to three days rather than two but my cravings hadn't diminished. Despite my efforts, they had actually intensified.

Naturally, Nessie fed twice a week due to her body processing food and blood in order to grow and survive. At the moment we were trying to trick my brain into realising that it was in fact going to receive blood twice a week so there was no reason for the cravings to get out of hand. So far the plan hadn't worked.

Across the clearing, on the far edge of the grassy meadow, a small herd of black-tail deer began to emerge from the tree line. Just the sight of them made my mouth water. "Ness." I whispered, breaking off her detailed explanation of what she eats instead when she wants blood. "Lunch is here. How about we make it a game like what you used to play with Seth and Jake?"

A grin broke over her lips and then suddenly she was gone, speeding across the meadow towards the deer whose beady eyes had just found us across the field, her bronze curls flowing out behind her. "She's such a cheater." Bella remarked with a teasing smile.

"You know where she gets it from, don't you?" I quirked an eyebrow at her, I wasn't the least bit surprised.

"I do." Bella smiled and I winked at her just as I blurred after Ness, the black tails of our prey were now beginning to retreat back under the cover of the thick forest.

As I surpassed Nessie I could see she was aiming for the second largest male, leaving the biggest for me knowing I needed the extra blood a little more at the moment. I sprang into the air with my eyes locked onto the thick neck of the stag, and as my hands latched onto its fur and I bared my teeth ready to slice through the warm flesh, Bella called out my name.

"Aria!" She warned with urgency as I tumbled to the ground with the dear, the antlers digging into my side as they sliced open the fabric of my blouse. I knew that was going to leave a bruise.