Chapter 22: The Banana

Start from the beginning

"It'll be six years tomorrow since I was changed. Since I first got these eyes." She admitted, her eyes distant again - going over memories in her head. "Does it scare you?" She asked, widening her eyes slightly, her smile dropping slightly as the doubt crept in.

"Of course not." I said suddenly, leaning closer to peck her nose. "Just reminds me of a long time ago. Reminds me of when you let me back in." I said honestly, remembering the pain I had put her through, the pack finding out about her eyes, the fight with Jared... Ari letting me back into her life. I remember the exact moment she said the words, it was like she breathed life back into me again.

Aria took her eyes off me, she looked down at my chest and began to draw circles against one of my pecs with her perfectly manicured nails. "Jesse was so mad. You got hurt that night." Her voice wobbled slightly as her fingertips retraced the parts of my skin that Jared had torn with his claws.

I grasped her hand in mine. "So did you."

She hummed in agreement, her eyes snapping back up to meet mine. "I'm sure they'll go back to gold once the little banana is here."

Her words through me off completely, I let out a single burst of laughter. "Banana?" I questioned with confusion, my chuckles continuing as I sat up and pulled her higher up the bed with me.

"Yeah." She giggled, a little nervously. "They're the size of a banana at the moment. I'm ten weeks so really I'm twenty weeks. A few days ago they were a mango and by Thursday they will be a carrot." She babbled excitedly, smoothing her hand over the growing bump.

I laughed again. Looking at her like she was crazy. "What the...?"

"It's in my book!" She said seriously, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Uh huh." I grinned at her as she pouted.

"I'm serious!" She stressed, her eyes wide, the bright smile on her face. I wrapped my arms around her even tighter and pulled her closer before resting my hand against her stomach.

"Well, we can't keep calling them a different fruit or vegetable for the rest of their lives... you thought of any names yet?" I asked curiously, wanting to see if she had put any thought into it. Boys names were pointless, I had only been looking at girls names.

"Erm, I have actually." She admitted, tilting her face to look at me again. "Well, I know I want them to have two middle names. I want one to be a family name and the other to be one that we pick ourselves. I want it to be an old Native name." She explained thoughtfully.

"Really?"

"Yeah, do you like that idea?" She asked, the smile making its way to to her face again. Every time she smiled I could swear my heart skipped a beat.

"I think it's beautiful. I already have an idea for our little girl-" I began but Ari's eye rolling cut me off.

"You don't know it's going to be a girl!" She protested light-heartedly.

I smiled at her. "I do... I've told you." I said matter-of-factly as I ran my hand over the bump again. "Anyway, how about Tala for the native middle name... it means the female alpha wolf." My smile turned into a full on cheesy grin.

Ari smirked, the smile fighting to break out across her face. "That's actually kind of perfect."

"I know... named after you." I said smugly, as I moved my hand to her hip and gave it a squeeze.