part 6: a knight in 'shining' armor

GAH! NO! I need to get free!

In another potent burst of adrenaline, you flailed violently in its grip, treading your back paws over its feathered cheek and beat harder at its chest with your tail, but you could only do so much with a dizzing headache. in fact, it only caused the grip to tighten, causing immeasurable amounts of pain to shoot through your body, all the way to the tips of your wings. hot tears began to spill from your eyes as the dreading realization of the situation began to set in. you shut your eyes, releasing a pitiful squeal of desperation as you thrashed about in a last ditch effort to freedom.

Though try as you might, your adrenaline slowly starts to fail you as the cold, numbing grip of dread begins to spread all across chest, all the way to the tips of your fingers. Time suddenly slows to a stop, the soothing sounds of the crashing waves began to grow distant, and the beating of the bird's wings began replacing it entirely. You were dimly aware of how far you were getting from the safety of the shore, and in a burst of desperation, you tried to cry out, to alert steven, the gems, or any creature, but you could only gather enough strength to croak a dry whistle, barely heard over the cold ocean wind whipping prominently in your face, making it difficult for you to breath as the altitude rose.

you find yourself becoming more and more light headed as you fought to keep consciousness as the piercing chill of the wind started to sting your lungs with each breath you took, causing you to gag as black blotches began to make their way into your already blurry vision. You were barely aware of what was happening anymore, as the grip of shock started to take effect...

I... need...

"NO!! STOP!!"

You were barely aware of what was happening when you heard a voice, booming in anger and fear.

...huh..?

"LET THEM GO!!"

THUNK!

SQUAWK-!?

"EEK!!?" there was a sudden jerk in motion, prompting you to snap your eyes open, just in time to witness what looked like a large pink disc of some type fly past your aggressor, barely clipping its wing, making it lose its momentum, and you were suddenly knocked out of its grip, sending you plummeting toward the beach below.

You squeaked in a newfound panic as you felt yourself falling through the air at a quick, startling pace. On instinct, you rapidly flapped your wings in a blind attempt to stop your fall, but as expected, your wings did nothing to remotely slow your descent, as they were much too small and thin to even keep yourself airborne. And with each flap, a painful jolt rocketed throughout your body, and with your already light head, your energy was quite drained. After realizing your fruitless efforts, you just released a distressed squeal, slowly stopping your attempts all together, clinging to the small bit of hope that you'd at least land in the water.

And sure enough, you land into something.

However, instead of the cold, splash of the sea, you smack into a firm but thankfully soft mass, eliciting a squawk of surprise from the abruptness of it and minor pain from the hardness impact on your tender body. as you slowly start to process what had just transpired, a familiar, almost frantic voice cooed to you, sounding quite breathless. "I-It's okay, I got ya!" your eyes widened at the familiar voice, a startled gasp erupting from your throat.

It couldn't be...

Ignoring the pain that rocketed through you with each move you made, you mustered up your energy to look up from your position.

It.. it was!

Was it...?

You squinted your eyes, wondering if you were seeing this correctly.

Curly hair...

Black shirt with a yellow star on it...

Pink jacket...

You tipped your head to the side, blinking a few times.

Yes... it had to be steven.... but... it... just didn't make sense.

How was he this far up in the air? Humans aren't capable of such feats without some type of device to assist them...

Better question is...

how... and why...

was he glowing pink?

"It's okay..." he repeated, his voice light and comforting as he descended back to the shore, landing softly onto the sand. "I'm here now.." you cooed weakly at him in response as he slowly and carefully examined you, frowning at the bruises and cuts from the attack. "Ooh no, that seagull really messed you up, huh?" he scowled up at the direction your attacker flew off. "They're getting a lot more aggressive nowadays..." you only loosely listened to his banter as you looked him up and down suspiciously. Is... this a new ability humans are coming down with? He catches your questioning gaze, and lifts his brow. "Um? Is there something-" he catches sight of his hands, which were carefully cradling you and he suddenly stiffens. "O-Oh...! Er... this..." he itches the back of his neck, looking sheepish.

Ashamed almost.

"Ahem... it's... no big deal. Just... some baggage is all..."

Baggage? Your eyes widened slightly.

From what?

Steven hurriedly cleared his throat and shakes his head in a dismissive manner. "Th-that's not important right now..." he returns his attention to your wounds and bruises, taking not of the blood that leaked onto his fingers. "we'd better get you all fixed up." He narrows his eyes slightly, humming in contemplation. His eyes suddenly flash as if an idea struck him and starts to bring you closely his face. This raises an alarm bell in your head, and you squeaked slightly in a instinctive protest, making him pause and regard you with a soft smile. "Don't worry. This won't hurt a bit. Trust me."

You tipped your head to the side. Trust him? You look him up and down as he stares back at you with soft, pink eyes. he was waiting for your consent. You chirped and cooed to yourself in thought. You sniffed in his direction for a moment to reassure yourself with his sweet scent and, after shifting your weight in his hands, nodded softly. He appeared to have brightened up at this and he again brings you upto his face, pressing his lips to the large wound on your wing.

Instantly, the pain disappears, and you could practically feel your wound closing itself up in a figurative and literal flash, much to your utter shock. What?! He then repeats his process to the other spots to where the bird had injured, all of the pain and wounds swiftly disappearing in a blink of an eye. Before you knew it, you were feeling as good as new! But... how?!

"There... feel better?" You look up at him, eyes shimmering in disbelief and amazement, your mouth partially opened in a loss for words. You looked him up and down, startled to see that his color is back to its normal caucasian skin colors. How did-? You go to give him a questioning chirp, but all's that comes out is a dry whistle of a squeak, reminding you of your raw throat. Steven frowns sympathetically at this, tilting his head slightly. "Aw... let's get you back inside."