part 23: 'silly' assumptions

...Today, Lil universe was in an especially cheery mood this morning. I know this because the first thing I woke up to was their beautiful singing and cheerful dancing. And not only was it a wonderful thing to wake up to, but just hearing their voice made me feel all giddy and energetic, almost like drinking about a year's worth of sugar shock shut down, but much better and probably healthier. And what was even better is that even the gems were able to experience this giddy feeling--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, dude! Whatcha doin' there?" Ameythyst asks, joining steven on the front porch. Steven shrugged, as he idly typed into his phone. "I'm just adding what happened this morning. I'd think people would like to hear about (name)'s singing." He paused his typing to ponder what he said, and turned to the purple gem leaning cooly against the railing. "You sure you guys didn't see anything weird in there?"

Ameythyst shrugged, sipping at her sugar shock soda. "I mean, we smelled something weird in the house, but we didn't see anything..."

Steven blinked. "Huh... that's so wierd." He muttered. He then looked back down at his phone to type more. "I wonder what others would think if I added that in..."

Ameythyst tipped her head to the side. "Soooo... about that blog thing... is it more like some kind of documentary or is it gonna be something like Ronaldo's stuff...?" Steven gave Ameythyst a look. "No. Because unlike Ronaldo, I actually know what I'm talking about." He admits. "People need to see the better side of hybrids." He looks up at the beach in front of him, watching as you pranced along the shoreline, singing to yourself as you joyfully munched on some chaaaps. Steven smiled at the innocent sight. "They've really been wronged for a long time... I mean, I don't even think they have tempers."

Ameythyst gave a dry chuckle. "You uh... you sure about that steve-o?" She looked out at the beach again, this time watching you sit on the beach digging into the sand, with your bag of chaaaps beside you. "Because last snow day says otherwise-"

"That was different!" Steven exclaimed abruptly, making Ameythyst flinch. Realizing he spoke louder than intended, he cleared his throat and spoke in a more calmer tone. "It... was my fault entirely. I shouldn't have been so distant to them." Ameythyst raised her brow, taking another swig of her soda. "Eeh, even so, what they did was kinda overboard-"

"Can we not... talk about that day?" Steven spoke with a sharp edge to his tone. "It's all in the past. I- I know they didn't mean to do it. I shouldn't have let it get to that point, anyway." He tried to sound nonchalant, but his tension was still quite audible to the purple gem. Who was starting to wince in a sense of discomfort. "Besides, th-they said they were sorry. That's all that matters, right? Th-they felt sorry for what they did in the end?"

Ameythyst's eyes darted back and forth, uncomfortable with the sudden with the boy's painfully obvious mask of nonchalance. "I mean... I guess..." she muttered into her can as she took another idle sip. "I'm... just saying... if you're gonna be documenting hybrid sirens shouldn't you at least be... accurate...?" The last word slowly, as if she was uncertain she was using the right word.

And judging by the way Steven was glaring at her, it wasn't.

"This is accurate!" He snapped, making Ameythyst shrink back slightly, spilling a bit of her drink out of her mouth. "Hybrids shouldn't have a bad rep because of... a few mistakes!" Ameythyst bit her lip, finding herself avoiding eye contact with the suddenly irate teen before her. "I'm telling you, my lil' universe is nothing like those other sirens at all!"

Ameythyst idly flicked her gaze back to the beach in your direction.

"They're well-behaved, good-natured, they've got good manners, they're respectful, they-"

"-look like got something."

"Wha-?"

Steven snapped his head up towards the beach, and squinted his eyes at your form in a distance. His brow knitted in curiosity as he realized you were now hunched over.

"What the...?" Steven felt a strong jolt of concern.

Were you hurt? Unwittingly, he straightened up and started to briskly make his way down the porch steps, and do a speedwalk towards you. "Hey-uhm, Steven..!?" Ameythyst jammed the rest of the can into her mouth as she hastily followed behind.
~~~~~~~~~~~

"(Name)?"

As he came closer to you, he slowed his speed to a cautious crawl, as he came up behind you, and lightly tapped your back. "Lil Universe, are you okay?"

Upon hearing his voice, as well as feeling his touch, you straighten up and turn around to beam at him politely. "Hmm?"

You were a with a sharp gasp, and you lifted your brow as you saw his eyes stretch wide open, nearly bugging out in what looked like sheer horror.

Ameythyst's eyes widen as well, looking both shocked and disgusted. "Oohhh..."

"...what?" You tipped your head to the side.

Steven suddenly felt a wave of nausea hit him, and he found himself stifling a gag.

But it wasn't so much the blood that dribbled down your lips, but more at the sight of the mangled seagull remains in your claws

And it certainly didn't help when you slurped down the rest of the severed wing so you could speak clearly. "Milord, are you well?" You asked, after spitting out a feather.

Steven gagged again, pressing a hand into his mouth. As much as he wanted to answer "yes", but he knew if he were to move his hand, he'd be losing his breakfast right there and then.

Ameythyst grimaced, sucking air through her teeth as she rubbed the back of her head uneasily.

"Yeeeah, I think they're a bit short in manner department, buddy..."
~~~~~~~~~~~

Too much?

Sorry if it is >~<

....also, in regards to snow day, I've been debating whether or not to bring that up, since it might thow some folks off in some ways...