part 30: Fusion talk

Dinner was tense that afternoon.

While the gems were chatty; and they had your favorite meal, (entrée) with (side-dish), you were surprisingly quiet.

Normally, you'd be eagerly talking about how your day with Steven had gone, you kept your eyes on your (bowl/plate) eating at an unusually slow pace. You were busy contemplating the final tidbits of your day.

It's one thing to condition a mythos, but milord?

There's nothing wrong with a little positive reinforcement!

Normally you wouldn't be particularly bothered by these words. Confused and curious with their use of them maybe, but it was the way Steven had reacted to said words that had you troubled.

He seemed so defensive about it... what's wrong with what he's doing?

What did those words mean to him?

"Hey, Lil (initial), you alright?" You were snapped out of your thoughts at the sound of Amethyst's voice calling to you, and you snapped your head up to meet the gem's concerned gazes. "You're awfully quiet."

Your eyes flickered between them and Steven, who in turn had his brow lifted at you, looking almost expectant. "I'm... just a bit tired from today." You answered slowly, quickly placing another bite of (food) into your mouth.

"Yeah, we had a pretty busy day today." Steven added, giving you a discreet smile of approval. "They just can't get enough of Funland! I think they've beaten every game there." You quickly nodded, forcing a smile onto your face. "Y-Yeah! It was really fun."

Pearl and Amethyst's smiles returned. "Well, I'm glad you two had a good time." Pearl remarks warmly, as Amethyst took another forkful of food. "Yeah, maybe you can teach me some of your techniques as well!"

"Amethyst, don't talk with your mouth full..." pearl chided, as you forced yourself to laugh along with the gems, unaware of Garnet's questioning stare.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, Steven had allowed you to step out onto the porch to watch the sunset while he helped pearl with the dishes. You leaned forward onto the railing, watching with a placid, if a little blank expression as the sun slowly sank into the sea.

It was a nice distraction from the day's events, as the slanting rays of the setting sun gave a warm, red-orange tinge to the cool indigo-blue of the sky.

As you watched and listened to the rippling sea, your ear twitched at the faint sound of a door squeaking open.

"...(Name)."

You glanced over your shoulder. "Lady Garnet."

You turned back to the setting sun, dimly aware of Garnet approaching to join your side. There was a period of silence between you both as you watched the setting sun. She suddenly reached over, and started to run her fingers through your hair.

 She suddenly reached over, and started to run her fingers through your hair

"...you seemed a bit tense at dinner today." Garnet broke the silence, her voice was soft and careful. You still shrank at the statement, resting your chin on the rail, your expression turning solemn. You didn't know how to answer her. As far as you knew, nothing seemed to slip past Garnet very easily, typically when it came to fibbing. It's as if she knew what you were going to say.

"Uhm..."

As you searched for at least some sort of plausible excuse, Garnet turned her head to you, her unseen eyes looking at you with concern. "You know you can trust me, (Name)."

You winced, idly picking at your wings as any and all forms of denial fell apart. Finally, you sighed in defeat. "Well... Em... do you know this Kevin fellow?"

Garnet's eyes narrowed, remembering his rivalry with Steven. "Yes... he and Steven aren't exactly on good terms."

"So I've seen." You huffed, tracing a clawed finger on the wood to avoid the fusion's gaze. "It's just... he's... said some things that... kinda stick out to me. And to Mil-... I mean, Steven."

You tapped your fingers along the railing rhythmically. "...what does conditioning mean?"

Garnet tensed up slightly, feeling the quickest flash of dread. She knew Steven wanted to try and "control" your more feral instincts, but to hear someone use a strong word condition made her feel more worried for you. For your future. "It... is another term for educate." She said slowly. "I wouldn't read into it."

"I see." You said, feeling yourself lighten up. "But... then Steven said something about... positive reinforcement." Your brows furrowed in wonder. "What's that mean?"

Garnet sneered, but shrugged. "It's just another form of teaching."

"Really?" You looked at her, surprised. Your troubled expression returned, as you returned your attention to the ground. "I figured it meaned something else because.... Steven got... really cross with me when I questioned him about it."

"It's probably because... Kevin had tested his patience." Garnet reassured, hoping you wouldn't hear her uncertainty. "Like I said, don't read into it."

You hummed softly, mulling her words. As you looked back out at the darkening sky, you didn't notice Garnet subtly adjust her visor. After a moment of quiet, you felt a hand on your back prompting you to look over at the fusion. "But... listen (Name)." She knelt down to your height and you see your own face in the reflection of her visor.

"In case you ever feel that there's something amiss... With Steven or anything in general... come to me." She takes her visor off, showing three concerned, maternal eyes. "I'll try to help you. Steven as well."

You smiling brightly, and nuzzled into the fusion's chest with a purr. "Thank you, Milady Garnet."

Garnet smiled, pulling you into a warm embrace, placing a soft kiss on the top of your head

Garnet smiled, pulling you into a warm embrace, placing a soft kiss on the top of your head. "Anytime, Lovebug."

She's almost forgotten how nice it felt to be hugged like this... by someone who looked up to you...

"...time to come in, Lil' Universe!"

You both looked over to the front door, to find Steven leaning in the doorway.

You looked towards the horizon and found that the sun had fully set behind the ocean. "Ah! Right away Steven!" Pecking a brief kiss into Garnet's cheek, you quickly scurried into the house, leaving both Steven and Garnet to themselves.

Steven gave Garnet as suspicious glare, looking her up and down, but nodded to her. "...goodnight Garnet."

He walked back into the house to follow you, leaving the troubled fusion to herself. "...goodnight."

She sighed heavily, looking up at the stars that had made themselves present in the sky.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.