part 5: the beast with wings

a seagull!

your breath became caught in your throat as your eyes met with vacant black eyes, dropping your find to your feet, looking the dreaded thing up and down in utter horror.

you didn't know much about seagulls. what you did know is that seagulls are known to eat almost anything they get their beaks on. and from what you've heard, that included OTHER animals as well. so one could imagine what a small young siren like yourself would look like to the ravenous rat with wings.

okay, don't panic... you told yourself, watching as the bird periodically tipped its head from side to side, as if it were sizing you up. maybe if I don't break eye contact with it, I can escape..

with a deep breath, you slowly and steadily started to back up, not daring to blink as the gull just watched, still tipping its head from side to side. it made a few cooing noises, taking a few short steps towards you, causing you to tense up slightly and quicken your pace. It suddenly made a sharp, coo noise causing your limbs to freeze in anxiety and your breath starts to become heavy, your gills flaring. don't let it intimidate you... just keep going.. despite your best efforts, you find it becoming more and more difficult to move, the icy grip of fear and anxiety wrapping itself your limbs and joints, your movements gradually becoming slower and slower until you finally just come to stop all together, forced into a tense staring contest between you and the gull. No! not now! you felt a rush of frustration heat your face and you grit your teeth together. it's fine... don't panic... you let out a shaky breath. there's gotta be a way out of this... you thought as you looked the gull up and down in thought. it doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment. it's gotten quite close now, so you could only assume it's gotten confused by your appearance, now that it's gotten a good look at you. ..perhaps... I can do this! you inwardly sighed to calm yourself, and dug through your brain for a way to get out if this, while at the same time, trying to get your joints to cooperate and move.

Standing in a tense stare down, your eyes narrowed slightly, as you looked the creature up and down, a worried, yet frustrated grumble emanating from your throat. Don't let this thing get to you... you told yourself sternly. I can get out of this. I just need to-- "EEK!!" The bird suddenly lurches forward and you feel the crushing grip of its sharp beak taking hold of your delicate wing, eliciting a screech of more surprise than pain from you. With a small jerk backwards, it spread its wings, flapping them a few times in preparation for its take off. Gah! No! I can't let it take flight!

You squeal and squawk more violently, adrenaline pulsed through you in great surges, as you began beat against the bird, thrashing and swinging violently, your free wing fluttering frantically in your writhing struggle for freedom. While you couldn't get it to let up on its grip, you managed to delay the bird's take off, as your struggling kept throwing it off balance, making it impossible to take flight. At this point, you take advantage of its stumbling and brought your legs up to its chest and with a grunt, pushed against it with all your might.

Fortunately, you successfully managed to free yourself of the bird's grip, though in the process, the hooked tip of the beak had left a relatively deep slice in your wing, nearly breaking it in the process. Stumbling back, you watched as the bird stood looking dumbfounded for a moment before releasing an indignant squawk and advancing towards you, beak stretched forward. This time, however, you bore your small, piranha like teeth at it, a low growl emanating in the back of your throat as you spread your wings in an attempt to look intimidating, trying to ignore the pain of your injuried one. Unfortunately, it didn't seem deterred, as it again snapped at you, it's beak a mere few inches from your face, prompting you to jolt back so sharply, you trip over your tail and fall onto your back with a pained squeak. You frantically scuttled backwards on the ground, hissing feebly yet defensively at the aggressor as it advanced forth determinedly, squawking in what sounded like irritation. It strikes at you again, the hook of the beak catching your shoulder, and you found yourself in another agonizing grip, thrashing and shrieking in agony, as you beat against its face, in a vain attempt to make it let go of you, however, it only made the bird increase its grip on you, giving you immeasurable amounts of pain.

In a swift, sudden motion, it bobs its head, and before you could even process it, you find your torso in a suffocating vice like grip, as if it were going to bite you in half. No! I need to fight harder! After getting over the shock of the situation, your adrenaline kicked into overdrive as you thrashed your in its grip, lashing your tail, shrieking with all your lungs could muster, which only made the bird angrier.

It bobbed its head again, tightening it's grip, lifting you off the ground and you find your breath being squeezed out of you as your torso was brought into a crushing hold. You still stubbornly fought tooth and claw, kicking your back legs, lashing your tail like a whip, shrieking until your throat felt raw, clinging to the blind hope that it will give up, until it suddenly thrashed its head, knocking more oxygen from your body as it squeezed harder, so much so, you were beginning to see black blotches ebb into your vision. It thrashed again, and your vision began to blur, from both dizziness and tears. You go still, now desperately trying to keep from losing consciousness, giving the predatory bird enough time to spread its wings, and with a beat of its wings, it's off the ground.
~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry, but seagulls can be demons at times.

I've looked up what they eat on YouTube, and needless to say, they're appetites match amethyst's.

Almost.