part 32: in deep waters

"I can't believe you! Going off into the ocean in the middle of the night!"

You shrank in your seat, hugging your knees into your chest with your tail wrapped around yourself as Steven paced back and forth angrily. "You know that sharks are more active at night, don't you? What were you thinking??"

"I... I don't know." You admitted weakly. "I was only gonna be a minute, I swear! But then I lost track of the time..."

"Lost track of the time, huh?" Steven stopped his pacing to look at you with narrowed, suspicious eyes. "And what did you do in that time?"

You winced, twiddling your thumbs nervously. "Just... out fishing, is all."

"Really." Steven crossed his arms skeptically. "Was that all you were doing?"

Your eyes darted back and forth. "...M-maybe I've explored a few... sunken ships." You muttered softly. "B-But I didn't cause them!" You quickly assured, upon noticing the pink spreading in his face. "They were there for years! I know it because my sire confirmed-"

"Sire?" Steven's voice took on an incredulous, if a little offended tone and you found your hands had clasped themselves over your mouth. "You saw your sire??"

"I-I... I mean..." You found yourself shrinking deeper into the couch cushions, cowering under the looming teen's gaze. "He's an aqua siren, so of course I'd encounter-"

"Take it easy, Steven."

A voice sounds from behind Steven, and you're thankful to find Garnet walking out from the warp room. "It shouldn't matter if they met with their sire. What should matter is that they returned home."

"I-I well, I know that!" He exclaimed quickly, as if remembering himself. "It's just- they shouldn't be... out in the ocean without letting me know!"

"They are partial sea creature, Steven." Garnet reminds him, with a bit of a stern edge in her voice, as she walked to the kitchen. "It's natural for them to want to be around and in the ocean." You let out a soft huff of relief, thankful for the fusion's intervention, while Steven stood, indignant at Garnet's butting in. "Maybe you should upgrade their room. Somewhere that's less... stifling. Greenhouses gather a lot of heat, you know."

"It's a conservatory!" Steven reminded with an annoyed undertone.

"Still gathers a lot of heat." Garnet insisted, reaching for a box of [cereal] and a bowl. The sight caused you to arise from your seat and totter to the bar, hopping onto the stool. "I'm just saying, It may not be very healthy for a sea creature to be somewhere with so much sun and such little sea."

She pours the bowl of cereal, as Steven seethed quietly to himself, his lips pressed in a tight line as he contemplated the words in his head.

He didn't know what made him more upset; the fact Garnet had butted into his business with her high and mighty advice as usual, or the fact she wasn't necessarily wrong.
-----------------------------------

He was quiet the rest of the time during breakfast, running through his morning routine with a notably irritated, if a little contemplative expression on his face.

You wanted to ignore it, but you knew deep down that there was something that wasn't right...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"May I ask where are we going, Steven?"

You asked as you were placed into a large (color) booster seat that he had recently installed in the back of his Dondai car. "As far as I remember, we never use your land vessel to for travel." You looked down for a moment, watching as Steven carefully strapped you in the seat's harness. Your brow lifted as you pondered your query. "...actually, I don't think I've ever been in your land vessel for travels. What's the occasion?"