part 33: Contemplative car ride

~~~{Second Person}~~~

The drive to little homeworld was an awkward, silent ride to say the least.

Even with the radio on, there was an awkward tension that lingered in the air, which made it difficult for you to come up with something to say to break such a heavy silence.

Even now, as you looked up at the rear-view mirror, you saw that Steven's eyes were focused on the road, his brows still faintly knitted into a look of intense contemplation. How he could get so worked up over a little night out?

You grunted at the mild indignance you felt at this, but you shook your head. I'll sort this out later. You assured yourself with a soft sigh. He'll... have to get over this eventually... You thought as you gazed out the window and let yourself zone out.

You decided that you'd remain optimistic about the drive nonetheless, and look at the positives of the situation. For one, you're actually riding in a land vessel! There really is something pleasant about these human cars. The hum of the engine, the occasional bump, it was actually quite soothing. Secondly, you were on your way back to Little Homeworld! You smiled to yourself as you began to daydream, thinking about the things you'll do in your time at little homeschool.

Perhaps Peri can continue her lecture about that show Camp Pining Hearts...

It was actually getting quite interesting...

~~~~{Steven's P.O.V}~~~~

I look up at the rear-view mirror, and found that they had zoned out to the music. They looked content in their little booster seat, while playing with their little feet. They're so... carefree and... naive.

Vulnerable, even.

I turned up the music for them and exhaled through my nose, trying to calm myself. But all I could think about was what could have happened to my lil Universe out in that dark ocean...

All of those sharks in that water at that time... a-and not just the sharks, there's all those other things in that... that death trap! Jellyfish, orcas... other sea mythos! A-And, for all I know, they could get trapped somewhere down there! The ocean's an endless abyss of danger!

And- and I wouldn't have been there to protect them... th-they could've been really hurt... or-or worse...

Gah, I thought I taught them better than to make such... reckless decisions!

And that's before even mentioning their sire...

I-I didn't even think he was this close to Beach City all this time.

I... I really shouldn't be upset at the fact they had visited him...

But... But I don't know how he is or... how he acts! What if he's... not a good influence on them??

....

...In fact...

....

...what if he tries to convince them to... stay with him?

In the ocean?

What if they leave me behind?

Move on without me?

What would I do without them?

With everyone else going on so quickly, who's to say they won't be the same??

I-I can't let that happen yet..!

I can't let them go--!

"Steven?"

I flinched, blinking several times at a small voice behind me. Looking up at the rear-view mirror, I see (Name) staring at me with a look of concern. "Ah- Yes, (Name)?"

"You have... the... pink... on your face again." They stated with a wince, sounding a bit hesitant. Looking at my own eyes in my reflection, I saw that pink rash covering my cheeks. Damn it... "Is... there still an... Issue?"

I was quiet, thinking about my response. "Well..." I take a deep breath and I refocus my attention on the road, trying to make the most relaxed expression I could muster. "About your sire..."

There was a moment of silence, as Lil Universe replied hesitantly, "...yes?"

"I'm... just curious... How is your sire?" I asked, trying my best to keep my voice as light and casual as possible. "What... what exactly is he like?"

I heard them sigh softly to themselves. "He's great, Steven! You'd absolutely adore if you met him!"

"Is... that right?" I tried to put on a polite smile, but it felt heavy on my face.

"Most definitely!" They chirped. "He knows where to find aaaall the cool stuff AND the tastiest of fish in the ocean! And you should see his collection of human treasures! Incredible!"

I felt a bit of a sharp twist in my chest at how enthusiastic they sounded about him.

Isn't everything in the ocean old and covered in alge and stuff? What's so incredible about that?? There's better stuff up here on land...

"And he even has a few elemental abilities!"

I nearly stomped on the breaks from shock. I completely forgot the other abilities! "...y-yeah?"

"Yup! It's mostly water-based though." They nonchalantly waved their hand. "You know, controlling it, freezing it, simple stuff really."

I silently let out a quiet sigh to steady my nerves. That... that sounded safe enough... "Sounds... cool!"

I flicked my gaze up at the mirror, to see (Name) flashing me a bright, sharp-toothed smile. "It is! I'm sure him and Lady Lapis would get along swimmingly!"

We both giggled softly at the pun. That was pretty good.

"Same with you!" They added. "He said he'd love to meet you meet you one day as well!"

I quirked my brow in interest. "You think?"

"Well yeah! I told him about how saved me and taught me all you knew about humanly cultures!" They said, cheerfully playing with their feet. "He is very grateful to you!"

"Eheh," I chuckled, a light genuine smile on my face. "The pleasure was mine."

There was another period of silence, with lil Universe humming softly to themselves contently as I just mulled over everything I've learned, feeling much better now.

...so it's not as bad as I initially thought...

They talk about me! That-That's good!

...but still... I need to find a way to keep a better track of them. Can't risk them being tempted away, or getting hurt, after all.

...I think I know just what to get.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kay, I finally got the Reboot up and running; it's available in my find if y'all are interested!