part 34: Homeschool reunion

"Lil Universe."

You were roused awake by Steven's voice, as the vehicle came to a stop. You blinked, rubbing your eyes looking up just in time to see Steven opening his driver side door. His slightly tired eyes meets yours in the rear-view mirror. "We're here."

You yawned, stretching your wings as best as you can in your seat, as Steven walked over to your side, and unbuckled you from your seat, in which you instinctively lifted your arms up, letting him pick you up and hold you on his hip. As he pulled out his hot dog duffle bag, you idly glanced over your shoulder, and was excited to find Lapis standing at the entrance of Little Homeschool, as well as Peridot who was jittering excitedly on her feet.

"Siren Universe! At last, you're back!" Peridot cheered, jumping up and down as Lapis waved, smiling warmly.

"Peridot! Lapis!" You cheered back, reaching for them excitedly, your wings flaring open unwittingly. You couldn't remember the last time you've seen the two gems, as you've only spoken to them over the phone a handful of times when Steven allowed it. Just seeing them again filled you with such joy!

"Your tail, (Name)." Steven's voice snapped you out of your excitement. You didn't even realize your tail was wagging, let alone notice how it was slapping against his thigh.

"Sorry." You whispered sheepishly, slowing your tail's pace. You didn't understand why he didn't set you down already to begin with, but you decided against questioning him.

He ruffled your hair, and with a soft sigh, he walked up to the two awaiting gems. It was likely just you, but he seemed to walk a bit slower than usual.

But sure enough, the moment he set you down, you wasted no time in running over to Peridot, scooping her up into a joyous hug twirling her around excitedly, the both of you laughing.

"Siren Universe! It's been too long since we've met! You can't imagine how much I've missed seeing you!" Peridot beamed as she set you down, and taking a moment to admire you

"Siren Universe! It's been too long since we've met! You can't imagine how much I've missed seeing you!" Peridot beamed as she set you down, and taking a moment to admire you. "Just look at how much you've developed!" She squeezed your cheeks, making you giggle. "You've gotten taller! I used to be able to hold you, and now you're strong enough to lift me!"

She gushed, delicately taking one of your wings, marveling at the large, shiny (color) feathers that covered them. "And these wings! Your feathers have come in quite nicely! Last time we met, it was mostly just plumule or down feathers! Now you can really see the (color) highlights!" Peridot giggled excitedly, looking like a child who had won an especially valuable prize. "I can only imagine on how high and fast you can fly now!"

"Faster than me, I bet." Lapis mused, ruffling your hair.

Hopefully not too fast... Steven thought to himself.

"I've missed you both as well, Peri!" You gripped both her hands into yours excitedly. "How have you been? How is everything at Little Homeschool?"

"Things are great!" Peridot beamed with pride. "Three of my students successfully grew hibiscus flowers!"

"And I learned how to paint with acrylic in Vidalia's class." Lapis added. "Speaking of Vidalia, she's been wondering if you were okay. Most of the students haven't even seen you in Little Homeworld."

"I'm sorry I haven't visited." You said, feeling a pang of guilt for your gem friends. "I was so caught up in my lessons that I lost track of the time."

"Not a problem at all! What kind of lessons?" Peridot asked with a tilt her head.

You thought for a moment. "...Lessons that..."

"Helped them understand human nature better." Steven quickly stated, stepping closer to you all. His gaze flickered between you and the two gems near you, and found himself fighting off a tense glare. "So they can... adapt better. Kinda like little Homeschool... but with a bit more... rules."

"...yeah." You heard yourself utter after a pause.

"Ah, I see!" Peridot smiled with a short chuckle, letting your hands go to pat you on the back. "You must be a hit with the humans by now, Siren Universe!"

You replied with a meek giggle, rubbing the back of your neck. "I.... can only hope so!"

"I only know so," Peridot reassured playfully. "Or my name isn't the Great and Lovable Peridot!"

Steven hummed softly in his throat, watching as you and Peridot giggled amongst yourselves, sharing playful nudges and hair ruffling.

"Well... you better behave yourself while I'm gone, Lil Universe." His eyes slightly narrowed as he gave you a stern look, making you shrink back slightly. "Don't go wandering off without anyone's knowledge..."

"N-No, of course not!" You replied hurriedly, feeling yourself tense up. "I promise I'll be on my best behavior..." You heard your voice falter, idly folding your wings to your back and pulling the bottom of your shirt.

Unbeknownst to you, Lapis had noticed your shift in behavior, and for the briefest of seconds, concern flashed in her eyes. She was quick to give Steven a look of reassurance, putting a hand on your head. "Don't worry Steven, we'll keep a close eye on them while you run your errands."

He simply nodded with a short hum in response, handing the duffel bag to Lapis. "Here's some supplies. It has essential stuff like their games, favorite snacks and activities to keep them busy. Oh, and be sure to read this." He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper, handing it to the blue gem.

Lapis looked at it quizzically for a moment, opening it and skimming the words. "What's this for?"

"Oh, it's just uhm... extra... rules." Steven said a bit slowly, as if uncertain. "Too... keep them in line."

Lapis blinked, taking her eyes off the list to look at him with a suspicious expression. "Keep them in L-?"

Before Lapis could question the boy further, he was already walking back to his car, with a bit of a haste. "Thanks, you guys! I'll be back in a bit!"

Lapis stared after him for a moment, before looking down at the note she was given again.

"Right then! Come along, Siren Universe! There's much for you to catch up on!" With an excited gesture, Peridot races in the threshold of Little Homeschool, with you following behind her with excitement. "Coming! Lapis, are you coming??"

Lapis stood for a moment, reading over the list.

"...What..?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outdated and badly written this book might be, I'm gonna try to see it to the end.