part 21: Fun day

After a bit more beach basking, steven decided that it was time for a little stroll around beach city to enjoy the many attractions of the summer businesses. You pretty much partook in nearly everything beach city had to offer, from shirt shopping to arcade gaming. Needless to say, you were having the time of your lives.

...well. At least you and Connie were.

The whole time, he had you both go on rides and try out games while he hung back, under the guise that he would keep watch of the many prizes you had won from the various funland games. However whenever you and Connie were out of range, Steven would go back to mulling over those facts he'd learned.

They're actually considered to be the most dangerous...

He frowned as he sat on the bench, waiting for you and Connie to finish up your ride on the The Appalachian, his mind racing as the words repeated themselves in his head.

Because they actually have these powers that are like... crazy strong.

And the younger they are...the more hostile they're likely to be.

That... that just didn't make sense. Those words... they just didn't match up with you. It had to be some sort of mix up with another creature or... at least be a severely outdated piece of information.

You might have had your moments, sure, but you were otherwise obedient and had become much more patient. and you were yet to display any signs of power...

Crazy strong... More Hostile...

That... that description... it just doesn't match up his little universe...

The only person that those words seem to fit is...

"Steven!"

"GAH!" Steven was brought back to reality at the sound of Connie's voice calling out to him. In front of him stood you and Connie. Your hair was tussled from the wind of the ride, and your tail was swaying side to side in a sense of elation. "H-Hey, guys! How'd you two like the The Appalachian?"

"It was great, Milord Steven!" You exclaimed, flaring your wings. "The wind in my wings felt amazing; like I was flying!" You fluttered them for emphasis, to which Connie giggled.  "Yeah, and it's a good thing siren vocal cords are as strong as they are." She smirked playfully, tussling your hair, messing it up further. "Seriously Steven, you should've heard how loud they were screaming."

Steven's forced smile faltered slightly, becoming more of an uneasy sneer, as a happy laugh bubbled out of you. Your smile exposed all of your jagged teeth, which made Steven's stomach clench. "I couldn't help myself, it was so wild!"

You danced in place for a brief moment, before looking all around at the park again. "And to think, there's still so many things to discover!" You looked over at Steven, smiling brightly at him. "Milord Steven, This world is full of so many possibilities!"

Steven froze. The instant those words registered in his head, that familiar frost started to form in his chest. "It... it is, isn't it..." his words came out stiffly. Like he had an issue with saying it. "Having a lot of... possibilities..."

He fell silent for a moment as his eyes darted back and forth, like he was thinking. Connie's smile dimmed a bit as she tilted her head slightly. "Steven?"

In a heartbeat, he perked back up, now wearing a smile would somewhat mirrored yours, only it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Yeah! Why don't we keep exploring funland for a bit?" He rises from his seat with slight haste, as he gathered the many prizes up into his arms. "Come on, bud, I know a place where you could get your face painted."

You gasped. "Face painted!?" Steven chuckled at the look of excitement on your face. "Yep! Either butterfly, stars, tigers, almost anything really!" Your eyes filled with stars, the excitement filling you to the point where you could swear you'd explode into fireworks. "Come on! Let's get there before they run out of paint. And remember to stay close to me."

With that, they started to walk further into the park, with you leading the way, hardly able to stop yourself from straying too far from them. Steven's mouth twitched subtly at seeing you wander ahead. Connie looked at Steven, finally letting her smile fade into a look of concern. "Hey, are you okay?"

Steven let out a soft chuckle.

"Yeah, I'm fine

"Yeah, I'm fine."

~~~~~{that night...}~~~~~

By the time Steven had got back to the beach house, the sun had already set, and the moon was just reaching its peak in the sky. "Phew! I gotta say, your stamina is something else... I don't even think I had that much energy when I was a kid..." He huffed tiredly, before turning to look at you. "I hope you had fun today, lil universe..."

A snore answered him as you slept soundly on his shoulder. You nestled your cheek into his shoulder, letting out a soft purr in his sleep.

He smirked, with a small chuckle. "Yeah, you're pretty dangerous alright." He playfully rolled his eyes as he adjusted your weight on his shoulder, careful not to wake you as he climbed to porch steps and slowly opened the door.

"Oh, there you guys are!"

Almost instantly, he was greeted with the three gems waiting for him in the living room, with Garnet in the kitchen, Ameythyst reclined against the couch and Pearl, who was pacing back and forth in front of the couch. "We were getting worried about you two."

"Uh, correction; you were getting worried." Ameythyst smirks, in a cheeky manner. "Garnet already told us they'd be back eventually." Pearl grunts, crossing her arms into a pout. "It was getting late and I started to panic..." Ameythyst chortles, prompting pearl's cheeks to flush a light blue, while garnet simply smiled at the tired teen. "It looks like you two have had fun."

"Yeah..." he smiles wearily, grunting as your grip tightened a bit on his neck. "They wore me out."

"I can tell. You look exhausted." Pearl giggled, noting his posture, and tired body language. "Why don't you get ready for bed and I'll tuck them in for you?"

For a split second, Steven considered her offer. His eyelids were heavy, and his feet were about ready to fall off. He was more than ready to crash for the night.

"N-no."

...but he couldn't do that just yet.

"I-I got it

"I-I got it."

You were his responsibility. It's only proper that he be the one tending to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~

First time drawing Connie and a balloon hat.

Also, the pic above this one is homage for the Baltimore comic-con cover~