𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

𝚈𝙰𝚂𝙼𝙸𝙽
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

In this life, if you are influential, everyone wants something from you—it is a constant.

If I had nothing or was a nobody, no one would call me or even send a text. No one would be willing to book an appointment to get my attention.

Staring at my phone, after checking it ten minutes ago, I was waiting for a text or a missed call, anything, from Zara. Suppose she had a reason to want anything from me. Out of everyone who wanted something from me, I wanted one of them to be her.

A knock on the door brought me back to my reality. Before I could answer, Titi waltzed into the study.

"So?" She asked with a smirk on her face, drumming her fingernails on the office desk, waiting for me to spill the tea.

"So what?" I tease her, keeping my own smirk in check. "Didn't you get my message?"

"Message?" She asked as the smirk on her face fades with her mouth wide open.

"You are no longer my best friend, Titi." I kept my voice hard and said to her, "One: I saw you flirting with Zara last night, not funny. Two: You knew she was here, and you didn't say a word to me?"

She let out an exasperated sigh of relief. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit inside. "Oh please. I knew she was here when you knew too. I saw the look on your face that night, tell me what happened. Did she finally give you the cookie? Or you acted so innocent and said no?"

"I had a call with the mother, thanks for asking."

"Yasmin, that is your business." Disregarding my statement, she leans forward to as, "Can you tell me what happened last night? Are you guys back together or what?"

I didn't want to answer that. I simply shook my head as I turned off the laptop and sat back. I still had at least a few hours before my date with Zara, but I wanted to keep my mind off the issue first. "Well, I got this craving when we were in the car... and I did something I have never done. Then at home, she was just..." I trailed off.

"The young lady still loves you, darling."

That was not ever a problem. "She's finding it hard to be with me again." The truth finally slipped out as I waited for it to sink in for Titi.

Instead, she let out a laugh. "Aunty, you didn't think because she slept with you, everything will go back to normal?"

Titi had never had a stable relationship, even with my assistant Ruchi, so I didn't expect her to understand where I was coming from. I didn't even want to tell her I stupidly asked Zara to move in with me. I thought I was right for her. Then it hit me, "Wait a minute, Titi. How did you know?"

"That you guys had some intimate fun night?" she asked with a cocked brow. I let my gaze do the talking as she shrugged. "See, you don't need to know everything. But that her friend, Nena, sure does talk a lot when touched right."

"Interesting. Does this friend of hers know you are not interested in being in a committed relationship? Because I don't want your situation-ship to destroy my relationship."

Titi shrugged unapologetically. "It's my situation-ship, not yours. So you both had it on, then what?"

"None of your business, darling."

"Hmmm, you seem to spoil the fun."

Talking about my personal life; in fact, my relationship with Zara is no one's business. "Can we talk about something else?" I asked, not hiding the irritation in my voice.

"How's the bill plan going? Have you told Zara anything about it at all?"

"Titi, are you alright? You want me to put the poor girl in more danger? If I am going to blackmail these senators into passing a bill that favors my relationship, I have to do it right. With fewer casualties."

"You really love this girl. What if the senators don't agree to your terms? What if they brush you off? What then?"

"Then, we start publishing their homosexual deeds to the public and let them face the wrath. How can they be against the LGBTQ community when they, themselves, are in the act behind closed doors? That's unfair and hypocritical."

"Preach on, sister!"

A moment of awkward silence, the kind that comes when one is yearning to ask a question, but not sure how you will react. "Titi, what do you want to ask?"

"What did the mother want?" she asked me with nervous hesitation.

Talking about my mother was never a pleasant conversation. "She wants to catch up on old times and says she has missed me."

"Missed you? When Emenike divorced you because of your late girlfriend, where was she? Where was she when she died even? See, I do not want to get upset. She can shove it..."

"It's enough, Titi," I mutter under my breath, ending the conversation. I was not sure my mother was ready to accept me as a lesbian, not sure she would when she learned what I plan to do.

Change was coming, I told myself.

A very short chapter, again! But there is a longer one after this with more drama

A very short chapter, again! But there is a longer one after this with more drama... should I edit it and publish or wait till tomorrow?
Side note— 36,000 words done! That's 14,000 more to go! Let's vote on that.