𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎

𝚉𝙰𝚁𝙰
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

Today was Monday, and all I could think about was Bella, instead of working. I couldn't believe I slept with a stranger, one who I had just met. A woman, for that matter!

I couldn't think straight because my mind focused on Bella and her well-rounded plump ass. I was blown away and yearned for more. If I had my way, I would have asked her to stop by my office and make love to her, right here on my desk.

She wanted more than the sex we had, but I explained to her I wasn't sure if it was what I wanted, considering how Nigerians see the LGBTQ community. Everything was happening fast, and I needed to break up with that old man.

"Being caught in homosexual acts could send one to jail for fourteen years in Nigeria." Lolia's words kept ringing in my head. With my head on my desk, gazing blankly at the computer, I didn't know when Lolia slipped undetected into my office.

I didn't notice her until she snapped her fingers. "Aunty!"

"What!" I screamed back. Looking up, I found her laughing as she sat down across from me. "Lolia, you scared me."

"Na wa for you o!" she exclaimed. "What's wrong with you? Why are you scared in your own office?"

I took a deep breath, "I am fine. I have unnecessary thoughts running through my mind."

"Give me the gist," said Lolia, as she pulled herself closer to my desk.

Even if Lolia knew I was bisexual, I didn't want to let her in on all the details from last night. It was too much information. "It's about your friend, Bella." I looked past her to make sure no one was eavesdropping outside my office.

I could see a grin build upon her face. "What about her?"

"Kindly close my door, at least, madam."

She walked over to the door and closed it, then back to where she was seated. "This better be important."

"We had sex," I finally uttered, trying to suppress my excitement.

Her brows snapped together, "Are you mad ni?"

Why was she speaking in that tone? She was the one who advised me to follow my heart and be myself - not someone else pleasing society.

"I am a lawyer, remember?"

"Lolia, what has that got to do with what we are talking about?"

"Let me refresh your memory." She crossed her arms across her chest and began to speak. "Nigeria's Federal Criminal Code states that - sex acts between same-sex individuals are illegal under the Criminal Code, which applies to southern Nigeria and carries a maximum penalty of 14 years' imprisonment..."

"Again..."

She held up her hand, shushing me. "According to section 214: 'Any person who (1) has carnal knowledge of any person against the order of nature; or (2) has carnal knowledge of an animal, or (3) permits a male person to have carnal knowledge of him or her against the order of nature; is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.' Do you want me to continue?"

I took a deep breath and stared at her deeply. "But you encouraged me to be myself and not pretend. Where's all this coming from?"

"You don't understand, and you never will. Just don't do this your gay thing here. It's not welcome."

I was confused. My best friend for fifteen years, whom I confided in and always had my back, decided to turn her back on me now, of all times. I could feel myself getting upset by her words. She had always struck me as someone who would support me no matter what, someone that wasn't going to be so judgemental. But after hearing her speak and seeing her demeanor, all the hopes of having a gay relationship began to fade away.