𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚟𝚎

𝚉𝙰𝚁𝙰
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

Five Months Later...

Back to work, and my mask of being ok was back in place. Everyone had to believe Zara was back on track and doing better.

The past few months had been hell for me. My mother was yet to speak to me, my father, on the other hand, stopped by whenever he could. The worst part was when the whole thing set in, and depression kicked in. I barely ate, forgetting to do stuff, and the tears were constant. My company was the only place where I could function properly without thinking of how messed up my life was-even though it was tainted with memories of Bella.

Today, I had to make it count. I had to bring my all in because we finally found a real investor this time around, and I made sure all the T's and I's were checked - leaving the owner of the company out. We didn't know who he or she was.

"Zara, the meeting is in fifteen minutes," Fred said, standing at my office doorway, with a smile on his face.

"Thanks, Fred. I'll be in the conference room soon."

He walked into the office and sat down. "I am so sorry about the last investor. I didn't know the young lady wasn't who she said she was. This new investor is reliable, and I am very sure of it."

I sat back on the chair and looked at him. "I did my research because I wasn't going to take any chances. The only problem is I don't know what this Ms. Yasmin Gerald looks like."

"My sources say she is the estranged wife of Senator Gerald Obamike."

"You and your sources. Go and keep them company while I prepare my notes."

He didn't move but sat there with his face like a crumpled paper. "Zara, she is not here, it's just her lawyer and personal assistant."

"So, go be with them."

"You are not listening to me. Her lawyer is Lolia."

My heart sank. Nausea swirled unrestrained in my stomach, and my head swam with half-formed regrets. My heart felt as if my blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat. "Ok," I managed to say.

He left, and I began to deal with the thoughts in my head. It doesn't sit well with me that Lolia was this woman's lawyer; she could make me lose this deal. There was nothing I could do about it at this point.

I pick up my files and notes and head to the conference room. Steeling myself, I placed my hand on the door handle. Opening the door, I look around, only to see a curvy woman in a suit, with long black weave talking to Fred and some of my staff.

She turned her head, and her eyes locked on mine, and the past hit me all over again. Of all lawyers, this Yasmin woman had to choose. It had to be Lolia-my sworn enemy.

"Please, God, help me get through this," I muttered to myself.

She gave me a sarcastic smile before taking a seat. My chest hurts, and it literally hurts to breathe. How was I going to do this?

A petite young lady with glasses walks up to me with her hand extended. "Zara. I am Ruchi, Ms. Yasmin's assistant. This is her lawyer, Lolia," she said, pointing towards where Lolia was seated.

Was God punishing me for whatever sins I had committed in the past? If that were the case, then my debt would have been fully paid. I tuned my mind back to my professional state of mind and prepared to get it no matter what. Failure was not an option. "Ruchi, it's a pleasure to meet you."