𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

𝚉𝙰𝚁𝙰
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

Weeks had gone by, and it turned into months. Yasmin and I had moved past the awkwardness and shyness after a second date.

I knew my feelings for her were real, but I did my best to let the relationship grow and blossom. Despite her busy schedule, we made time to spend it with each other—avoiding the public eye, of course.

Three months into dating, and we seemed content. Still, it wasn't to be mistaken for happiness — at least not at a deeper level because neither of us had said the three-letter words. I loved Yasmin, but the fear of getting thrown in jail held me from affirming how I felt.

Today I decided to pay Yasmin a surprise visit. Driving in, I could see a police van in the driveway and a group of policemen standing outside. I parked the car and walked up to where she was with her daughter and ex-husband. "Yasmin, is everything alright?"

"It's Kelani. She got into some trouble with thugs in GRA."

Kelani's face told me she didn't like the fact I was present, and so did her ex-husband. "Do you have to tell a stranger about our daughter's bad deeds?" he added.

"She is not a stranger Emenike, please do not cause a scene here." Yasmin turned to me. "Zara, when I get sorted out with everything... we need to talk."

This was not good at all. I didn't like the way she paused or the tone of her voice. When your girlfriend says we need to talk, it was not going to end well. "That's fine. You do have a lot on your plate right now," was all I could say. What else was there to say.

Walking back to my car, I couldn't help but think what 'we need' to talk might mean for whatever we had, even though this was not the time to be seeking clarification.

"'We need to talk' is never a good sign," I told myself as I drove away.

Nena put the bottle of vodka on the kitchen table alongside a box of facial tissues

"I was so stupid to fall for Yasmin, I swear," I said weeping. "This is what happens when I take a chance on gay love in this godforsaken country."

"We don't know for sure, Zara. I don't even know why you are crying like a baby," Nena responded.

I sniffed, wiping my tears. "Aunty, when has 'we need to talk' ever been followed with anything other than someone with you?"

She didn't say a word as I took a gulp of the vodka sitting pretty in front of me.

"Nena..." I blew my nose.

"Have you thought that maybe Yasmin has a lot to deal with right now? She doesn't really want to be a burden to you?"

"Nena, stop abeg. It doesn't give her the right to say 'we need to talk.' Ah Ah, we just started now," I told her and went back to tears. She hadn't seen me in this state before, because I always showed myself to be the no-nonsense type and fierce when it came to love.