𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

𝚉𝙰𝚁𝙰
━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

Weeks had gone by, and I hadn't heard from Bella, and it was becoming worrying. Meanwhile, my parents had been bombarding my phone with calls and messages. Even my mother tried to get into my house, but to her surprise, I had changed the locks.

Lolia, on the other hand, kept saying she needed to speak to me. I couldn't fathom a reason why she wanted to do so — she betrayed my trust.

Work had been hectic for me, so today I decided to pamper myself. Filling up the tub with hot water, I could hear someone calling out for me. I had clearly told the guards not to let anyone in, not even my mother. I left all I was doing and ran down the stairs to find out who it was. I saw her standing in the living room looking lost. "Lolia?"

She turned around, looking at me, stunned. "Errmm... Zara, how are you?"

Was she smoking something? "How am I? You break into my house, and you are asking me how I am? How did you even get in?"

"Calm down..."

I raised my hand at her, "Don't freaking tell me to calm down, you betrayer!"

She took a deep breath and sat down on the closest couch she could find. "I know where you keep a spare key, remember?"

My hands were still on my hips, and I didn't say a word.

"The reason I am here... I came to apologize."

"For what exactly?"

"I..."

She wasn't able to complete her statement before the door was flung wide open. Bella stood there, looking haggard — her makeup smudged, her weave wasn't in place properly, and her pupils dilated. This girl was high.

"Bella, what's going on? Come inside," I said to her as I walked to where she was.

It didn't take long for me to stop in my tracks because the next thing I knew, she pointed a gun at me. The way Bella was acting wasn't something I would have ever thought she would do, because she was holding a gun at me. Why?

She slammed the door behind her, which made my skin jump out of my body. "Ms. Lolia, it's good that you are here too. I don't have to explain much."

"I told you I was going to get back to you. Why all this drama?" Lolia asked.

Inside my head, the thoughts are accelerating. I want them to slow down so I can breathe, but they won't. All that I can think of is that I may die today, and I never got to do all I wanted to. My breaths go through the gasps, and it feels like I'm going to drop down any minute. My mind started racing to figure out where I had kept my phone, but the back and forth between Bella and Lolia cut me short. "What the hell is going on here!" I screamed out of anger and fear.

"Are you going to tell her, or should I?" Bella asked, waving the gun at Lolia. "You know what, you both sit down and shut up while I speak."

While we nervously found a sofa to sit on, Bella toppled her way down towards where we were. After only six staggering paces, she doubled over, vomit splashing on the floor and her dress, still holding the gun tight.

She stood straight and wiped her face with her hand. "So your supposed best friend here hired me to pretend to be in love with you, lure you to bed, and get a sex tape to prove so. I am ok with that kind of job, don't get me wrong. What I am not ok with is being owed."

I couldn't help but laugh, even though I was nervous. So everything I had felt was a lie? What the hell was going on here? "To what end, Lolia?"

Her eyes began to fill up with tears, nibbling on her bottom lip. "I can explain," she tried to say.

I stood up, filled with rage, "You can explain? You used the one thing I held dear to my heart, against me. You are evil." She betrayed me on all levels, piling evil deeds after evil deeds upon herself, adding blackmail to her list. There and then, I knew this was the beginning of the end.

"I... I just wanted to see if you were really into women. I wanted to be sure so that you wouldn't reject me."

Running my hands through my hair, I was trying to grasp everything that came out of her lips. "But I told you Lolia, and I confided you. For God's sake, you were the first girl I kissed! What is wrong with you?"

"I didn't know how to tell you. I thought maybe if I told your parents it would make you accept yourself for who you are, and then I could make my move."

"Really? You disgust me!"

"This is interesting," Bella added, reminding us of her presence. And the gun. "I only want my money, that's all. You two can bicker about your love affair later on."

I could feel the rage, and I couldn't hold it in any longer. "You are not getting a dime. Get the hell out of my house!"

They thought I was joking, and they thought I was holding a toy gun

They thought I was joking, and they thought I was holding a toy gun. I don't know why they both didn't take it seriously, and that was something I hated.

I could feel my fingers slowly squeezing the trigger. I didn't know when I fired the gun. "Oh, my God!" That was all I could say.

There was a deep, percussive thud, and her body leaped backward, her arms flailing after, her knees buckling.

Her face was a mask of shock, of fear, her eyes, and mouth wide open. I knew there wasn't any pain yet, because it hadn't registered. She looked at me, straight in the eye as she fell. It's not fair, those eyes said, this wasn't supposed to happen to me.

"I'm dying," she muttered, with blood coming out of her mouth.

I didn't want her to die. All I wanted to get was the money.

 All I wanted to get was the money