Chapter 38 - Alone with you inside my mind

Start from the beginning

"I am familiar with both, yes." Naomi smiled.

"Some movies and fairy tales are about finding this thing called true love. People spend their whole life looking for that one person that makes their heart skip a beat. You wanna do lovey-dovey stuff, like hold hands and kiss whenever you can and sing out loud. Well, the singing maybe not so much in real life, but you get the picture. The more modern fairy tales involve princesses being trapped in a curse until the one they truly love, someone they sometimes don't even know, comes and kisses them awake. It's stupid and completely sickening... But it's what most people want, even if they won't admit it. To be near someone who sweeps you off your feet and who can break the spell the wicked witch puts on you. Only that person matters in your life. But what the modern fairy tales and most of those romance movies don't tell you is that when you lose your true love... it hurts. Not like getting wounded or having a headache or something. It hurts in here."

Allegra clutched her fist against her chest.

"You feel as if your heart gets snatched out of your chest and crushed into a million tiny pieces. You miss the person you lost so much that you see him everywhere, hear his voice in each sound you hear, and he fills your thoughts and dreams."

Naomi stayed silent but had a pensive look on her face. Angels and feelings... If only God had put those two together.

"My heart has been broken too many times before," continued Allegra. "It gets harder to put the pieces back together. For years, I tried to fight my feelings to save myself from the pain, but Dean... He was it. My Han Solo. My Jack Dawson. I know you don't understand those references, but believe me, you would agree with me if you'd seen those movies. He is just like them. More Solo than Dawson, but still... I let my heart guide me because I was foolish enough to believe he was my true love. My mistake."

"Maybe not."

Allegra looked up in surprise when she heard Naomi say those words.

"Some things are worth risking everything for," she said. "Especially when your heart tells you it is the right path."

Well, that's a firstMaybe there's hope for the angels after all.

"But your heart will not help us here. With the aid of some of the others, we could simply erase Dean and the pain he has caused you out of your mind and heart. Then you will be able to focus completely on the task at hand."

Never mind.

"You're not erasing anyone or anything, Naomi." 

"You may feel that way now, but I strongly advise..."

"And I'm strongly advising you to drop it!" 

Allegra pushed herself up to her feet, a menacing glare in her eyes as she looked at Naomi. They stood only a few inches away from each other. Both women put on their most intimidating faces, but neither would budge. Eventually, it was Naomi who spoke first.

"Very well. But I suggest you find some way to forget about Dean Winchester. He no longer needs you. But we do, Allegra. You are the only Archangel left. Until Michael returns, and he will return, you are all we have, as you yourself said before. I would like to see you lead us but know that I will not allow your human side to further infect the purity you have within you. Step out of line, and you will be dealt with."

***

"I can't talk to you right now, Dean. I can't even be around you right now! I think... I think you should just go on without me."

Dean stared incredulously at his brother. Was he seriously taking off because of a monster he killed? What the hell was it with Sam and falling for the bad girls? First demon bitch Ruby and now this chick Amy he'd known to be a friggin' kitsune since he was a teenager! Dean had only done what he had been trained to do - kill the monster. What the hell was Sam getting so worked up about? But hey, if his brother wanted some alone time, who was he to stop him?