Chapter 29 - The first step

A/N mild sexual content in this chapter

It took some time until Allegra fully recovered from her encounter with the angels. Dean kept her up in her bedroom, bringing food and watching her almost 24/7, much to her annoyance. After two days of this, Allegra threw such a fit that Dean (to avoid getting hit with another 1000-page book) took her outside for an hour. She enjoyed the sunlight and fresh air so much that even Dean had to admit going down wasn't such a bad idea after all. But he still wouldn't let her go further than the porch. So every day since then, they would sit there together (much to Sam and Bobby's delight, who kept comparing them to the old, married couple from Up) for an hour or two.

It was Thursday afternoon by the time Dean could finally talk about what was bugging him since their little chat with Balthazar a week ago. Sam and Bobby were out doing groceries, so he and Allegra had some genuine alone time. He figured she'd be more open if they weren't around, so it was now or never. 
Dean watched Allegra from his seat on the porch lounge chair. She leaned against the railing, looking out over the salvage yard like it was a field of flowers in the sun instead of a car junkyard. Her hair had that playful contrast between red and gold again. Allegra turned her head a little and caught Dean looking at her.

"What?" she asked curiously.

He smiled at her.

"Just enjoying the sight of my beautiful baby in the sunlight."

"What are you talking about? Baby's in the shade, where you always keep her."

Dean rolled his eyes, and Allegra laughed, pushing herself off the railing.

"You can't call both of us 'baby,' Dean. She's the original, and I wouldn't dream of coming between you two."

"Oh, she's gonna like hearing that." Dean chuckled as he pulled Allegra onto his lap and wrapped his arms around her. "Okay, let's see... I'm guessing Alley-cat is still off the table?"

Allegra's fist against his chest confirmed that.

"Ow, easy, Rocky." Dean pretended at being hurt but then quickly kissed her cheek to make up for the pun.

"Whilst we're on that... Don't call me 'sweetheart' either, okay?"

Dean wanted to ask why but then he remembered. That was what Gabriel used to call her. It made sense she wouldn't want that. He nodded, and Allegra relaxed. She lay perfectly in his embrace, with her head on his shoulder. It killed Dean that he had to break up this picture-perfect moment between them, but he'd given Allegra enough time. He had to know.

"Alley? Can I ask you something?"

She raised her head, furrowing her brow curiously. Dean took out the vial from his pocket. He felt Allegra tense up when she saw it and quickly put it away again.

"Alley, whatever that is scared the hell out of Balthazar, and I need you to tell me why. If it's something dangerous, then..."

"It's not, Dean. Not really."

She released herself from his embrace and walked back to the porch railing, holding herself by her arms. Dean rose from the lounge chair and went to stand behind her. He took her by her hips and pulled Allegra towards him so that their bodies touched. She leaned her head back against his shoulder.

"You jump, I jump," Dean whispered into her ear.

"You'll hate me," she said softly.

"Try me."

Allegra turned around to face him. She placed her hands on Dean's chest and seemed to follow his breathing and heartbeat.

"You remember what I told you about the prophecy? The whole baby thing?"